Prologue

Seeing him again sent a shiver down her spine.

She thought she had moved on, but he still struck fear in her heart. She was hiding behind an auction board, a paddle held close to her chest. She scraped her nails against the smooth wood.

The setting changed, but she hadn't.

Maybe he thinks I'm someone else? She hoped.

Her heart thundered in her ears, and the breaths she took to calm her down failed to do so.

Someone tapped her shoulder. "Excuse me, Miss?"

That voice.

"Miss, are you alright?"

She shut her eyes.

If she pretended she was sleeping, would he leave her alone?

"You're not fooling me, Delia."

If she hit him with her paddle, could she make a run for it? Delia gulped and glanced at him.

"What is it?" she asked coldly.

He sat down next to her, a smile decorating his face.

I guess he hasn't changed either.

"Long time no see, huh?"

"Yes, very."

"Why are you being so drained?" he complained; hand idly playing with her hair. "You used to be so vibrant."

She grabbed his wrist. "Camille, leave me alone," she moved his wrist and set it on his lap.

"Haven't you missed me?" He put his head on her shoulder. "I know I have," he mumbled.

"Would you just leave?" It came out harsher than she expected, but maybe she wanted to go harsher.

He removed his head from her shoulder and a final gut-wrenching look later, he left.