Chapter Six: Toxic Ex's & Resistance

Começar do início

Your stomach tightens, and a knot forms – How could he come and see you last night, if he's apparently involved with some girl? Asshole...

Aaron: Pretty much, it was published while we were on the plane last night... Pretty wild...

y/n: That's pretty ballsy from him to do before the season has even properly started. Actually no, that's hella toxic...

He laughs, as he takes another spoonful. Ace was always the brave kind – He doesn't really care much about what he said or if someone got offended by it.

Aaron: Did you see what he said about you? At least that wasn't all too bad... He probably didn't make it super bad on purpose cause of the history between you guys... 

y/n: Maybe, I don't know... Certainly better than what he said about you... Bold claims... 

You look at the interview again: Thiago called you a driven, stubborn driver, that deserved the seat more than the majority of drivers did, but he also criticised your lack of 'raw pace', which is stupid in your opinion, as you had beaten him in most races last year. You roll your eyes. He didn't totally bash you, but it was unnecessary nonetheless.

y/n: He'll get some backlash over the whole interview sooner rather than later – I mean he disrespected Championship winners, and whole teams that were around for decades... There will be consequences to most the claims...

 And you know his female fan-following will not be amused over him mentioning some girl he's started to date... Truthfully it's also leaving a bitter taste in your mouth. Yet again you're disgusted by Ace and his actions. Lovely. 

Aaron: Yeah, I mean they're poor claim anyways – Also pinning my success on the car and not on me? Kinda pisses me off actually. I earned my titles and I have more wins than he can even imagine getting – I'm straight up better than him, and I worked hard.

y/n chuckling: Of course you earned it... It's uncalled for either way... He shouldn't be commenting on other drivers that have been in F1 longer than he has been out of puberty... 

He starts laughing and gives you a bright smile.

Aaron: Agreed – I still don't understand what you saw in him...

He glances at you, holding the eye contact.

Aaron: You deserve a lot better than him, that's for sure... Someone who respects you, who will support you, who doesn't just break up for no reason... Someone who's been patient with you, who's been your friend and who understands you...

Is he flirting with you right now? Trying to tell you he's more suitable for you than Thiago is? You redirect the conversation away from your ex – You can't think about any of this right now. You hand him his phone again, and focus on eating. 

---

Back in the garage. 

With your colourful visor down, the world is coated in a light rosy colour. With Frank and Lucy's go, you turn on the engine – Powerful vibrations shoot through the car – You feel it's strength within you. You give your helmet, your seatbelt and your pedals a last check. None of them better fail you at any point... They won't though.

With the shifting of gears, a member of your pit crew guides you out into the pit lane. The trapped, rumbling sounds of the engine are finally released under the free sky, and the Bahrain heat is noticeable – You sense the tire's grip to the hot track, as the car becomes an extension of your body. 

You push through on the pedals to unleash some of that speed that was talked about; You sling along the straights, and oh lord, the car is fast – You shift the gears as you make your way around track, transmitting messages through the radio for Lucy to pass onto the mechanics. 

Yes, the engine is rather sensitive, as you were warned it would be, but you're certain this resistance won't last forever... You'll get used to this car rather quickly. This is winning material, no matter how much you need to adapt, this car has untapped potential.

As you're busy with testing the car, and pushing it on the straights yet again, a silver Mercedes is trying catch up to you from behind. You swiftly pull away, amused by the thought that that could've been Thiago, who was now completely embarrassed by not being able to keep up with Ferrari's, or your own pace. So much for claiming that Ferrari would be a full on catastrophe this season... A massive smile hides behind your visor, as you return to the garage at the end of the session.