x. ice picks and mountains

Start from the beginning

Lee was commentating on the match, his voice echoing around the stands.

"And Ravenclaw's got quite a different lineup this year," he was saying. "The 'Three R's' we'd seen as Chasers two years ago are now 'Two R's and a C': Raven, Rico, and Cho. Jia, the Keeper, is back for another year. They've got two new Beaters, Ayden and Dorian. And of course, the team's led by a fan favourite, the wonderful Raya Newbrooke! Hufflepuff has the same lineup as last time, with the addition of Jaiden coming in as their new Seeker."

Raya flew upwards a bit, tilting her broom to the side to get a better advantage at seeing the full field. There was no sign of the Golden Snitch yet.

"And Jia makes a wonderful save!" Lee announced. "Jia to Rico, who dodged two Hufflepuff players, passing to Cho on the way — she's twisting and turning in the air, throwing the Quaffle up — and Raven's got it. She dodges a Bludger — which Ayden hits at the new Hufflepuff Seeker — and she shoots... SHE SCORES! Ravenclaw leads ten - nothing!"

Cheers exploded from the stands, Ravenclaw chants drowning out Hufflepuff boos.

"And Ravenclaw's got the Quaffle again — Cho to Rico — back to Cho — and oh! She just dodged a Bludger right there! — anyways, she's twisting and turning in the air, the other two Ravenclaw Chasers freeing up some flying room for her — she shoots — SHE SCORES! The Ravenclaw women are a force to be reckoned with!"

A streak of gold appeared at the edge of Raya's vision, flying near the Ravenclaw goalposts. Raya looked towards Jaiden, who was watching the other end of the field. If Raya made her way to the Snitch, Jaiden would get notice, and he was closer. The odds were in his favor. But if she pulled him away from it...

Deciding to play it safe for now, Raya angled her Firebolt the opposite direction, towards the Hufflepuff nets. Angling herself low to pick up speed, she bolted off, flying over the heads of the other players.

"And Raya's off!" Lee was saying into the microphone. "She's speeding towards the Hufflepuff goalposts as her teammates pass the Quaffle to each other. Has she spotted the Snitch? Jaiden's left his post on the opposite end of the field, following her, but there's no sign of the Snitch. If it was there, it's gone now."

Raya slowed once she heard Jaiden had decided to follow her. She angled her broom upwards, going a little higher in the air, before stopping somewhere above the field.

Below her, play continued.

"Raven to Rico — back to Raven — who passes it on to Cho — who gives it back to Rico — Lemrock's on his tail," Lee spoke, referring to a Hufflepuff Chaser. "And oh! Ayden whacks the Bludger right at him, nearly knocking him off of his broom. That play gives Rico some space, and he manages to throw the Quaffle to Raven, who throws it back to Cho, who SCORES! RAVENCLAW IS LEADING FIFTY - NOTHING!"

Raya kept her eyes peeled, focusing only on parts of Lee's commentary to learn how the game was going on. Jia managed to make a few epic saves, not letting a single Hufflepuff goal in.

Suddenly, a streak of gold flew past and Raya's hand flew out on instinct, trapping the golden Snitch. 

She laughed a little to herself, mostly in disbelief. But there it was, the golden ball fluttering in her fist. She raised her hand to the sky, the crowd cheering as she brandished the small ball as confirmation that they had won.

"AND RAYA CATCHES THE SNITCH!" Lee roared. "RAVENCLAW WINS: TWO HUNDRED TO NOTHING! Oh Merlin, this is the greatest victory ever! And to think it was only Raya's first game as Quidditch Captain."

"This is Ravenclaw Quidditch!" Raya shouted at anyone who would listen. "This is what it's about!"

"We're here to win!" her teammates agreed.