chapter 53: a pirate's promise

Start from the beginning

I couldn't help but gawk at the talking tree in front of us. The stories were true, I'd never met an ent before. There wasn't any moving or talking trees where I was from. They were all just regular tropical trees that you would find on an island.

"show yourself." Aragorn whispered beside me, pulling my attention again. Which I found that Merry smirked smugly at me, like he was proud to show that he was close to an ent to me.

I rolled my eyes at him, a small crooked smile on my face.

"Be careful." Gandalf snapped to Aragorn. "Even in defeat Saruman is dangerous." Gandalf finished, a bit more softer this time.

"Well then let's just have his head and be done with it." Gimli said. I nod at him, personally I want him to have a slow death but I don't care whatever method we'd use. Just as long as we don't have to deal with him anymore.

"No. We need him alive. We need him to talk." Gandalf protested. Way to ruin the fun grandpa.

I exhaled a sharp breath. That's fine, as long as by the end of this he'll still be dead.

A booming voice rose from above, we all look to the top of the tower. Then lo and behold, the man of the century. 

"You have fought many wars and slain many men Theoden king, and made peace afterwards. Can we not take counsel together as we did, my old friend? Can we not have peace you and I?" Saruman said, leaning on his staff. His tone was mocking and taunting, like he couldn't believe that Theoden was capable to win the battle. Or maybe he did, which was why he needed to curse the king in the first place.

"We shall have peace."  Theoden craned his neck to Saruman, rage in his face. "We shall have peace when you answer for the burning of the westfold and the children that lie dead there! We shall have peace when the lives of the soldiers whose bodies were hewn even as they lay dead against the gates of the Hornburg are avenged!" His voice rose more and more with every word he said.

"When you hang from a gibbet for the sport of your own crows...we shall have peace."

Saruman stares at Theoden, a sense of rage and disbelief on his face at the same time. "Gibbets and crows...dotard! What do you want Gandalf Greyhame? Let me guess, The key of Orthanc? Or perhaps the keys to Barad Dur itself? Along with the crowns of the seven kings and the rods of the five wizards!" He growled at us. 

I scowled at the man. The once was honoured and loved Saruman. Now nothing except for a creature that has its own fears.

"Your treachery has already cost many lives. Thousands more are at risk. But you could save them Saruman. You were deep in the enemy's council." Gandalf advised.

But there was no consideration or empathy in the former white wizard's face. 

Saruman raised his eyebrows, a smirk on his face. "So you have come for information. I have some for you."

I bite the insides of my cheeks. He is either just bluffing or he will give us horrifying news. nothing in between.

Saruman pulls out a palantir and looks into it. "Something festers in the heart of middle earth. Something that you have failed to see. But the great eye has seen it." Saruman's eyes was filled with awe. Although there was also a slight fear in them.

He looks down towards us again. "Even now he presses his advantage. His attack will come soon."

Gandalf rides forward.

"You are all going to die." Saruman said. 

Merry's grip on my arm tightens. I squeeze his hand gently. Saruman was bluffing. He had to be bluffing, those things can't be true.