twenty six | Micah

Start from the beginning

But painful. It either ends peacefully or painfully.

After another moment of staring at the moon, I sniff again, wiping dry my face before tucking myself under the blanket as I fully sleep on my side to watch the moon some more.

"If you're real," I mutter to the moon, suddenly remembering Micah and his beliefs about his goddess and where or what she is now. "If you're real, and you really did become part of the moon or you're the moon or something along those lines... then I consider this creepy. You're watching me sleep."

Before I know it, my heavy eyes slowly blink shut, my body relaxes against my bed, and a small sigh leaves me before I sink right back to slumber.

***

It's quite bitter this morning. Andrea can't fetch me fetch means my father is taking me to school. I think the both of us aren't exactly pleased with it, considering here we are, seated in silence and the radio isn't even on to make this awkward silence less awkward. My head is completely turned to the window, elbow leaning against it so my check can rest against the back of my hand.

I could just reach over and switch on the radio but it's fine. If he wants to be bitter and moody in the silence then I can do the same thing as well.

The ride seems longer than it really is, but the moment we get there, I pick up my bag from my feet before getting out the door.

"Bye." I mutter under my breath before shutting the door and marching towards the campus. I don't turn to see if he has left or anything, but considering I know my father, he's probably still parked where he is, glaring at me and complaining under his breath about how much of a disrespectful, ungrateful child I am, all whilst making sure I make it on campus safe.

He does that all the time, when we're upset with each other.

My feet carry me straight to my first session, which doesn't start for another couple of dragging minutes. I manage to sit at the back considering the lecture room only has three other students — early birds — seated and having a fat conversation.

I swing my bag off of me and place it on the table, before folding my arms over and then resting my head on top. My eyes shut closed; I mean, I might as well catch a few more minutes of sleep than stay up staring at the front of the room.

I could be on my phone too.

Nonetheless, this plan fails almost as quickly as it started, considering not long after, I feel a presence before me. No no, not before me. Behind me.

I first think it's somebody who randomly decided to stop behind me to contemplate either staying next to me, or in the front of the class, but when the hair on my neck doesn't go back down, I become a bit alert and aware that a whole person is still standing behind me.

I slowly lift my head and turn around, looking up at the last person I would have assumed to see today. It's almost like he didn't notice me — maybe even think about the fact that he is randomly standing behind somebody and that in this day and age, we don't accept that anymore — because he lifts his eyes from his phone, lips pressed in a thoughtful, subconscious pout, before they drop to a frown and his eyes narrow.

I don't know if I should greet or tell him to get lost.

"Ban—"

"Don't talk to me." He scoffs as he rolls his eyes. "Do I look like I want to talk to you?"

"I was just going to ask... if you're okay."

He tilts his head and narrows those eyes of his. "Do I look otherwise?"

"It's just a genuine—"

"I don't care, Gertrude. I really don't."

Well then.