35. Survival Of The Fittest

Start from the beginning

"Y/n can you please bring a new set of clothes for her?" Jungkook requests, doesn't look behind, and focuses on easing Jennie, who's dropped her face under her palms whimpering.

"Yes." You lead.

"Thank you." He acknowledges.

Jungkook holds Jennie's hand, lowers it down and takes her eyes on him. Jennie's swollen eyes meet his, a tear escaping her eye already. He gathers both of her hands together firmly and starts.

"Although I am struggling to find the right words now, I want you to know I care about you. Y/n cares about you. Everyone here does." He whispers and she listens. Her chest lifted in tiny hiccups.

Jungkook tilts his head back, urging the tears from coming through his own eyes too. But he's staying strong for his best friend. The one he genuinely cherishes. "This sucks–I'm so sorry about all of this, J." He hisses. It's painful for him to see her so ruined.

She's sitting with a painful expression on her face, lips trembling and eyes small from crying. "After all this is over. Let's go to that favourite spot your dad liked so much." He smiles mid-pain, remembering Jennie ranting about it when they were close.

Jennie sniffs, nods, and softens her eyes on his hands clasped together with hers. "Mom, too." She adds, "I miss her too."

"Of course." Jungkook mumbles, his smile inflicted with pain, "The flower market across the street." He mentions, "I remember."

In the week Jungkook and Jennie spent together, Jennie opened up a lot about her to him. And Jungkook is pleased he knows. That he can be of support. By any means.

You come in and feel reassured after catching Jennie slowly getting calmer and getting back to herself. Jungkook appreciates you, thanks you and accepts the clothes you brought for her.

"Now you're going to go change. Don't want to get sick, do you?" He's carefully being polite with his words. Jennie breathes and lands her gaze on the dress. Stares at it. She collects her thoughts and initially agrees, gets up to change.

Right after she leaves, Jungkook stands up and rubs his eyes, shakes his head and turns behind his shoulder to find you. Follows you. Find his way to you and drop his head on your shoulders. Hands resting on your palms. Intertwining them. Losing himself.

"Everything will get fine. I promise." Jungkook is almost near to breaking down. And you're biting your lips, holding yourself from crying too. Rub his back and soothe him as he notices you're as soaked from rain as him.

"Let's not get sick too either, yeah?" He's suggesting a change of clothes for the two of you too, and you agree. Understand. Get to that.

Is very glad that Jennie is finally listening to someone.

It was peaceful because it was Jungkook who was making it happen.

+++

It's been ten days since they held the funeral. Ten days you've had a lot going on with the house. Ten days of barely getting any sleep. Ten days of Jungkook not around you.

Jennie was a lot more relaxed than before. In a better condition. She was eating two times a day–at least that was the bear most than anything. And all that because Jungkook was there.

She just continued merely on greens the first few days, not wanting to eat heavy meals, but she was slowly getting there. One day after day. Everyone was loosening up. She opened up, had conversations with everyone. Mingle and spare a few smiles.

Losing your only parent was nothing but disheartening. You're astonished to see her getting better so quickly. But again, you still hear her sobs when she pretends she's asleep but is just crying to herself all night long.