"I'm fasting." Was Basmah's simple reply.

"Fasting?!" Fatiha shrieked, turning to look at the lady who was older than her by two years but still a dear friend of hers.

Among the three friends Fatiha had, Basmah Hussayn was the oldest followed by Aabidah Ali who was away on her honeymoon with her husband at the moment. After Aabidah's husband who had been a pilot died, she had returned back to her hometown which was where she met her current husband.

Fatiha could remember the wedding which had taken place just a month ago. She could also recall the way her friend had trembled with anxiety like every new bride did because a part of Fatiha had been jealous then, but she had reminded herself that everything happened according to Allah's plan and that all she had to do was have sabr. But her patience was growing thin and after the conversation she'd had with Munir a week ago, Fatiha feared that she might commit a sin soon by questioning her Lord.

"Fatiha!" Basmah yelled.

"Yes?"

"Why did you say fasting in that unbelieving tone?"

"I did?" Fatiha asked slowly as she tried to pull her mind from last week's conversation with Munir.

"Yes, you did." Basmah pointed out. "Do you think I can't do it?"

Fatiha tried to laugh it off. "Of course not. I mean, it's just... I was just surprised. Why are you fasting again?"

"I'm repaying my missed fasts."

The gasp was out before Fatiha could think about it. She slapped a hand over her mouth and scooted away from Basmah who glared at her.

"Look," Basmah said, "I'm in a really bad mood right now, so don't make me use the transfer.  Okay, sweetheart?"

Knowing she wouldn't want to talk about what was bothering bothering, Fatiha stuck to nodding instead, then softly, she asked, "Repaying your fasts? Just now?"

"What's just now?" Her friend rolled her darkly lined eyes. "There's still time. I only missed seven fasts, so I'm sure I can repay them in time. Besides, there's no fixed time for repaying a missed fast, so I can do it any time. Don't look at me like that. I'm older than you."

Fatiha could not believe her ears. Yes, her friend was a teacher who barely had time, but still repaying her fasts now? "But I always asked you if you've repaid your fasts and you always said yes."

"Did I?" Basmah enquired without glancing at her companion. "I can still do it, so stop nagging."

Fatiha pressed her lips together in exasperation. She closed her eyes for a bit, engaging in some breathing techniques that was said to help with relaxation. She wasn't nagging, but of course whenever it came to reminding Basmah of these important things, Fatiha's advice could be considered as nothing but arrogant nagging. Fatiha didn't try to say anything else, she just hoped Basmah would at least for her own sake repay her fasts. Ramadan was just right around the corner.

"We have just a few weeks until Ramadan starts, when are you buying your Ramadan food stuffs?" Basmah asked.

Fatiha shrugged. "I don't know yet. I'll have to ask my mom."

"Hmm, okay." Basmah nodded like she understood, which she actually did.

Rashidah Abdullah always made sure to give her girls a list of what to buy weeks before Ramadan began, this year, however she seemed to have forgotten. Fatiha made a mental note to ask her mother about it as soon as she went back home.

The girls sat and watched the students running around in silence for a while until Basmah suggested; "Would you like to talk to Abs?"

"Aabidah?"