Chapter Six ~ In Which A Butterfly Sings

Start from the beginning

Alex's eyes suddenly filled with fear. "But that would mean she would have to meet you tonight!"

"Yes...." I looked at him strangely.

"It isn't the time yet, Erik." He insisted, beginning to pace.

I sighed heavily. "Master Alex, there will never be a better time than this, I assure you. Besides, you can always craft some fictitious story about my appearance. I could be a simple lounge performer that you heard from the street. You walked in and asked me to play you something and asked to hire me. I told you I'd work for free. There we have your story and my new identity. Fair."

He thought it over a moment. "I suppose that is fair. I suppose."

"Well, I suppose I ought to meet your wife now, that is since we must perform tomorrow morning, yes?"

"Yes, I suppose." Although he was agreeable he seemed doubtful.

I stood up and grabbed my jacket in a symbol of my leaving. "Let us move quickly before your confidence drops."

♦ ♦ ♦

Charlotte, Alexander's wife, was a rather beautiful woman with many striking features. She was a slender thing with alluring auburn curls that fell gently around her face and to her shoulders. There was a small bit of makeup on her face that brought out the stunning green hue of her eyes. In no way was I alluding to the fact that I wish to have her as my own, but certainly Alex had found a near perfect woman. A rarity.

She greeted me cordially, and took the story well and although I am not certain she believed every word she took it as if she did.

I was lead to the stage by Master Alex with Charlotte close behind the two of us. Alex explained to Charlotte that she would sing, and she did not argue. She humbly accepted. It was not until I had seated myself at the piano atop the stage that Alex, guided by the hand of his wife, announced that Monsieur Worthington was his father. To that, I immediately felt a wave of pressure overtake me for a moment. This meant, therefore, that I was playing to please the greatest patron Master Alex could ever seek to please.

"Then, we must not delay in practice." I replied, having found a slight bit of nerve to continue.

Charlotte stepped closer to the piano and took hold of one of the corners delicately. "What shall we be performing?" She turned to Alex who turned to look at me.

I stared back at the two of them and cleared my throat a little. "Perhaps something classical and soft?"

"Sounds lovely." Charlotte smiled softly at me.

"Erik, you play the violin, yes?" Alex asked.

I turned more to face him after showing a soft smile to Charlotte. "Yes, I do."

"Perhaps I have an idea then. You could play the violin to Madame Butterfly. Although I realize it is not a classical piece, it is softer and would fit Charlotte's voice." Alex explained.

I thought it over a moment before looking at Charlotte for some form of approval.

She smiled at the two of us and nodded. "It would be my honor sing anything for your father, my dearest." She cooed to Alex who blushed at her public affection.

"Find me a proper violin and I shall play for you, Master Alex." I stood from the piano and nearly dismissed it.

Alex gave me a nodded and walked briskly off the stage toward the back, leaving Charlotte and myself alone a moment.

I sighed softly and looked around, leaning back on my heels rather absentmindedly.

"It is very kind of you to play without charge, Monsieur." Charlotte spoke up in a rather soft but confident voice.