The World Cup Reunion

A/N: Back with an update!

The World Cup loss still hurts so much. But I had to write about the adorable AB-Virat reunion in Kolkata on 5th November, Virat's birthday. That was a beautiful day, and obviously one of the best moments the WC graced us with.

I got quite delayed in writing this, but I hope you guys like it!

~.~

AB and Virat hadn't spoken in a while.

With all the cricket Virat was playing, he barely had time to connect with anyone. And there was the fact that he had made a conscious decision to stay away from social media for the duration of the World Cup.

The key motive behind this was to avoid all the negativity and trolling that seemed to take place every few days on these platforms. But as Virat had distanced himself from Instagram during the Asia Cup, he had begun to feel a peace of mind like none other. And soon enough, it got easier and easier.

Of course, what this also meant was that he was out of touch with a lot of people - including AB, who had been busy with his own life back in South Africa.

Meanwhile, as AB was readying himself to travel to India for a brief commentary stint during the tournament, he did anticipate meeting Virat at some point; but the hassle of travelling, adjusting to the jet lag and getting to work immediately had him exhausted, which pushed the thought right to the back of his mind.

So it came as an unexpected surprise to both AB and Virat when they ran into each other in Kolkata, that too on the occasion of Virat's 35th birthday.

x

Funnily enough, when AB woke up on the morning on 5th November, the first waking thought he had was "It's Virat's birthday."

It wasn't just the fact that he remembered this date every year just like he remembered his wife's and children's birthdays, but there was also the fact that interviewers had been asking him to wish Virat on camera since yesterday. At least a dozen times.

It was funny how people wanted to publicize their friendship. But those on-camera wishes weren't nearly enough. No matter how many times he said the words "wishing my brother a very happy birthday, I love him," it would never be enough until he said it to him in person.

As he left for the stadium, he wondered if he would be able to meet Virat at all. Of course he would be there practicing, but the question was, would they have the time to catch up?

It was a matter of luck since they had not planned a meet-up, but somewhere deep within, AB knew they wouldn't miss each other.

Just a gut feeling.

But as it was with the two of them, the gut feelings always seemed to come true.

x

While AB did have an inkling of what was to come, for Virat, it was all sudden and unexpected.

He was walking out to practice, with all the usual energy and passion that he always brought onto the field, and then suddenly, there was a familiar figure in grey approaching him from the other side of the boundary.