Series Loss and The Aftermath

A/N: Hello! Hope you all are well. Back with another update after a month, sorry for the delay.

This one's about India's test series loss against South Africa and Virat stepping down as test captain (that one was a real heartbreak). 

Enjoy and do leave a vote/comment if possible! :)

x

13th January, 2022

Virat was frustrated.

What else would you be, when luck simply never goes your way? 

Day 4 of the test match had just come to an end. They had ended the day with the big wicket of Dean Elgar, but South Africa were at a clear advantage.

Yes, they had played well indeed, but the dearth of luck on India's side was unbelievable. 

Even technology had failed to support them during an LBW review by SA - the umpire's decision of "Out" had been overturned and that had left a terrible impact on the team's motivation levels.

For all the energy Virat displayed on the field, he was human too.

As he sat in his hotel room, Virat couldn't find too much regret in him for all he had said on the stump mic intentionally. Maybe he had acted out of frustration and anger but rightfully so, when you have so much at stake.

One last time, he thought as he stared at the wall impassively. One last time.

___

14th January, 2022

India lost.

They fought hard, they did their best to keep up the energy until the very last ball, but the loss didn't come as a surprise to anyone. 

South Africa were simply the better side and they all had to accept it.

It was painful, it was a golden opportunity to create history lost, but for all their disappointment, they knew they would get over it. More chances would come, and they would only learn and get better from here.

But for Virat, it was more than that and only he knew why.

He had wanted this so desperately, he had wanted to end his reign as Captain with a historic win. Not for the sake of personal achievements but simply because he wanted his team to create history, he wanted to finish on a good note.

Was that too much to ask for?

Alas, life was no fairytale. He should've been used to these anticlimactic ends by now, but somehow, he felt more despondent every time.

Virat wanted to be alone for a while when he came back from the match, and Anushka sensed it immediately. They were married for years now and they adored each other's company, but sometimes, you simply need space. 

Perhaps it was their acknowledgement of that which had contributed to making their relationship so successful, and Virat was ever grateful for the understanding.

Anushka smiled and left for a stroll with Vamika, leaving Virat alone with the multitude of thoughts that were running in his head.

Just as he was allowing himself to sink into that familiar maelstrom of memories, his moment of solitude was disrupted by his phone ringing. 

"Wow, that's some timing." Virat said, rolling his eyes and reaching out to see the name of the caller in exasperation. 

"Biscuit" flashed at the top of his screen. 

An unanticipated call. He would've loved to talk to his brother any day but right now was not one of those times. Especially when he had just lost to AB's team. But he couldn't possibly decline his call, so he reluctantly answered.