undesired hero

"There you are. I want to run a beef against you in 'S'. I need a challenge. It's been a while since I've leveled up. Are you in?" Miya asked with a smirk.

"Don't even think about it." Reki said before Ayaka could even think. "He's in a totally different class."

Miya glanced back at Reki before looking back at Ayaka. "I heard you're actually a snowboarder, is that right? Very fascinating. I'd love to see how you managed to beat Shadow."

Ayaka blinked at him wide eyed. "I don't snowboard." he whispered. "But I get what you're saying, I just don't know—if I could ever do it again." He closed his eyes for a brief second, before opening them again.

"But I accept."

"Slow your roll!" Reki shouted. "Don't get cocky 'cause you nailed an ollie!" He pointed at Miya. "This guy's a hardcore professional!"

"I'm in."

"Really!?"

"Then. It's settled." Miya smiled, picking up the small dog. "What will the stakes be? Any ideas on what we should bet?"

————

"That's ridiculous. They should just leave the gates open." Ayaka said, skating toward the gates.

"You're not even supposed to talk about the corse existing. Why would they keep it open for all to see?" Reki explained.

"Anyway, is this like, your shtick?" Reki asked. "Jumping into stupid situations?"

Ayaka found balance on his board, and looked up at Reki. "What do you mean?"

"I mean accepting rando challenges. No other noob would race against Shadow. Now you're taking on a Japanese team hopeful?"

Ayaka looked forward. "Didn't want to seem like a coward. It could be fun."

Reki grinned at his friend's attitude. He laughed once he spotted something. "No way, bro, look! Your feet!"

"Those two." Miya muttered from behind them.

"Heroes don't associate with slimes. Didn't your manager teach you that?"

"Check out that R-S-P! It's doing well out here." Reki acknowledged.

Ayaka stopped trying to move on his board and looked at Reki. "What is?"

"You don't even know the name of your board? You're riding the Reki Royal Straight Prince Maru, my dude!" Reki says, doing a finger gun with his hand.

Ayaka furrows his eyebrows and he frowns. "What...? Who the heck is Prince Maru?"

"I heard that's what the girls in your year call you? Prince?"

"They certainly don't."

"Pretty sure they do."

"No, they don't."

Miya zoomed past them with such speed that it startled Reki, nearly causing him to lose his balance on the skateboard. In a swift motion, Miya turned around to face them, his hood still covering his head, and a mischievous grin spread across his face.

"You could've hurt someone!" Reki scolded as he stepped away from his skateboard. Ayaka stopped his board and put a foot on the ground.

"That's one thing about trash." Miya said as he started taking off his hood. "It all gets thrown in the same pile."

"What was that?" Reki grumbled.

"Practicing with losers is not a good look. Well. Later, Slime boy" Miya said as he turned around and waved, a cocky smile on his face.