Chapter 2-No Money?

Start from the beginning

Shirking at the attention, Meloetta returned to its previous position hidden behind your back.

At that moment, Stoutland bounded back into the scene. The Pokémon let out a low bark, and stood at attention. "Return!" Called Forrest, and after a burst of red light, the Pokémon returned to its Pokéball.

Some garbled noise sounded from the walkie-talkie of Annie's waist, and she raised it to her mouth. "We'll be back within the hour, just taking care of the injured." She then turned to you. "Well kid, time to say your goodbyes."

You turned to the crowd of wild Pokémon, taking a few steps out of the helicopter. Even though you had only known them a few days, it was still a bit sad to have to leave them behind. "Well guys, it's been a bit rough, but I'm still glad I got to meet you."

After a brief pause, you continued. "Sorry...I couldn't help you all protect your home better." Yes, Pinsir was taken care of, but the riverbanks were still a mess. It would take months, possibly even years for them to be returned to their previous state.

Linoone then stepped forward, nudging her nose into your palm. You gently patted her snout, to which she licked your hand in response. You chuckled, "I-I'd like to come back someday. Whe-When I'm better prepared of course!"

A chorus of cries rang out among the Pokémon. There was no disdain or anger in their eyes. You had fought alongside them, and they were grateful. Linoone then peered over your shoulder, before giving a happy bark as thanks to Meloetta.

"It did save the day, after all."

Meloetta smiled, then gave a small bow in response. You then turned to your fellow humans.

"You ready?" Asks Annie, and you nod in response as you step onto the plane. You and Meloetta give one last wave as the helicopter takes off. The wild Pokémon got smaller and smaller, until they disappeared entirely.

Their forms were lost among the thicket of trees.

"So," begins Forrest, "How did you end up in the middle of nowhere?"

You contemplated lying, saying that you had gotten lost on a hiking trip, but that explanation would surely backfire at some point. Besides, honesty was supposedly the best policy. "I don't know," you answered.

The ranger leaned forward, "You...don't know?"

"I-I was just asleep one moment, and the next...I woke up in the middle of nowhere."

"Say (y/n), where are you from?"

Oh, that was easy. You were from-

Wait a minute, where were you from? You found yourself unable to remember. You recalled memories of your childhood and your family. You remembered Pokémon, but not...where you lived your entire life."

What?

Of all things, why was that missing?

"I-I," you gulped. "I...don't know that either." Your head began to pound, and you felt nauseous. Sensing your distress, Meloetta wrapped its tiny limbs around your arm. Worry was written across its face.

"How...strange," muttered Forrest. He then shifted the conversation away from that line of thinking, and asked for a rundown of your time spent in the woods. Thankfully, that was easy to provide. In as much detail as possible. You told him everything.

From when you first woke in the middle of nowhere, up until the confrontation with Pinsir. Inevitably, you reached the topic of the third night, where you heard all that chaos.

"Salamence," said Forrest simply.

"What?" You lamely responded.

"A wild Salamence went on a rampage some nights ago. The time lines up with what you told me. That's actually why we were here, to survey the destruction from that whole catastrophe," explained Forrest.