Chapter 15: Telling Jokes

Start from the beginning

"Please do."

This topic piqued my interest for some unknown reason. I'm not really a fan of this kind of thing, especially it doesn't make me laugh, but listening to her made it pretty interesting.

"Nee, chanto ofuro haitteru? (Hey, did you wash up properly?)"

"Okay, and then?"

"Neechan to ofuro haitteru? (Are you taking a bath with your sister?)"

I see. So by changing the pronunciation of where you out the stress in a phrase, the meaning will completely change.

Instead of Nee, chanto- she instead said it like it's one word- Neechan to, which completely changed the meaning.

"I understand now. But what makes it so cringe?"

"Personal preference." She scoffed.

"What did I even expect...?"

I'm an idiot for thinking that she has a deeper reason for not liking the new jokes.

"How come they call that a new joke when Japanese people always tend to mispronounce phrases like that?"

"I mean, yeah it's a typical oyaji gyagu (Dad joke), but it looks like people on the internet have only heard of it recently, and now it's booming like crazy."

Wordplays in the Japanese language isn't something new. In fact, the puns in our language have a historical roots.

The joke in itself is not really funny, but I guess the point of the joke is to get some awkward smiles from people. But not too sophisticated.

"So, you mean that old jokes are only booming now because people have only heard of it recently?"

"Yes."

"So that means, technically, the old jokes are the 'new' jokes right?"

"Exactly."

"But you said you hate the new jokes...?"

"Ohh! You finally understand, Senpai!"

So you just don't like jokes in general? Is that what she meant?

"I feel like you're misunderstanding me here." She sighed in defeat. "I don't mean that I don't like jokes in general, I just prefer the jokes that makes me laugh, and most of them just happen to be old."

"Ahh, so it's still up to your personal preference?"

"Mmhm!"

Then why did you even said that 'you like old jokes more than new ones'? That just made the whole thing confusing.

Had she said that instead, this wouldn't even be a topic. After all, we all have different taste, or preference, on different things. And that's only natural.

May it be food, sports, the attitude of people we want to interact with, everything, really.

And this applies to jokes as well. Some people find something funny, while some people don't understand why something is funny.

For example, someome might laugh if they see someone tripped, whilst other people will get worried.

Each individuals have their own way of keeping themselves entertained.

"But senpai, you don't seem to be familiar with this kind of things."

"Well, you can say that." I stood up with the intention of going to the vending machine.