III - Nighttime Reading

Daniel had her ankles crossed over one another, Pride and Prejudice propped on her knees. She licked her fingers, unsticking the page and flipping it over. The brunette paused when she heard a creak on the landing. She slid off her cushy bed, book in hand. Daniel made her way into the hallway, looking out to see nobody outside her door. With a yawn and a sigh, Daniel went down the steps. She walked into the kitchen, spotting George sitting at the table eating a bowl of Coco Pops. With a half-hearted smile, Daniel walked over to the stove and put the kettle on.

"What are you doing up, George?" The brunette leaned against the counter with her arms crossed, facing the boy at the table.

"Cereal." He muttered through a full mouth, holding up a spoonful of Coco Pops that spilled off and back into his bowl. "You?"

"Tea." She smiled, turning around to grab a tea bag from the box.

George looked the girl up and down over his shoulder. "You're calmer when you're tired."

Daniel scoffed, snapping around with a look of disbelief. "I am not tired."

"You are so tired." George retorted, shaking his head a little. "Why else would you be so quiet?"

Daniel stammered, unsure quite how to respond. "I- I- I'm-" She huffed, rolling her eyes. "It's been a long day, okay?" The kettle started to whistle, Daniel turning to pour the water into two mugs. And it had been a long day, Daniel and Lockwood were sent to a cluster case. It didn't go nearly as bad as the last cluster case Daniel had been on, seeing as nobody died, but they were under the impression it was a single type two, not four. 

George put his hands up in mock surrender. "Okay."

Daniel paused, glancing over her shoulder as George ate his cereal. "Tea?"

"I'm good, thank you." He shook his head, shoving another spoonful of cereal into his mouth.

"Alright." She nodded, putting the piping kettle back onto the unlit burner. She sat one of her peppermint tea bags into her mug and one of Lockwood's black tea bags into his, taking both of them with her toward the library with Pride and Prejudice tucked tight between her arm and her torso.

Lockwood looked over, a small smile on his face as he saw Daniel trying not to drop her book. "Tea?" She gave him a soft look, running her gaze over him. He was in sweats again, just like the first day she had come to the house. He had light grey sweatpants on and a black t-shirt that hugged his chest.

"I'd love some tea." Lockwood answered, scooting over so that Daniel could sit down beside him. She handed him a mug, taking the spot beside Anthony and placing her book down on her lap. He took a sip from the mug, his face scrunching up. Before he could say anything about the switch in their tea, Daniel was coughing at the taste of her own mug.

She handed him the purple mug, pulling the black one from his hands. "Sorry." Daniel muttered, wiping her mouth with her sleeve.

"It's okay." The brunet chuckled, shaking his head slightly.

He took a sip of the proper tea with a satisfied smile. Daniel pulled the hood of her jacket up, her hair parted out on either side. She shuffled slightly, her knees slotting underneath her and her feet tucked next to her butt. Daniel grabbed her book from where it had slid between her and Lockwood's legs, flipping it back open to the page she was on.

After around an hour, Daniel was snuggled up against Anthony's chest, his arm draped over her shoulder. The brunet picked up another magazine, placing the one that he was previously reading down. Daniel's breathing slowed and her hands slacked, letting her opened book drop spine up onto her stomach.