I saluted

Farrell: "to what do I owe the pleasure?"

Leutnant: "well, we just barely escaped from the Polish resistance, so that was fun"

Captain: "I was sent for by Keitel to inform and help General Fahloh make her decisions"

Farrell: "of course, though I wish you luck, she's very headstrong but is a brilliant strategist"

Captain: "thanks, from the sound of it I will"

Farrell: "wish I could trust you right off the bat, but I gotta check your soldbuchs"

Leutnant: "of course"

I inspect them, and send them in when revealed that they are indeed who they say they are. It was a very boring shift other than that. I opened the bolt of my rifle and inspected the shell when I noticed something odd. The top round, had a hole in the bottom of the casing. I immediately unload my rifle and see all of the shells there are like this. I raise and eyebrow and shook the shell, no powder whatsoever, it was a dud.

Farrell: "Dranko, we have an issue"

Dranko: "what?"

Farrell: "someone is trying to sabotage me"

I show him, and his eyes went wide.

Farrell: "yeah, I'm going to inspect the rest of my rounds"

I opened my pouches and inspected all of them, not affected. I reloaded my rifle with the good cartridges just as a round puts a hole through my helmet but missed my head thank God. We immediately dive for cover and hide behind our sentry box.

Farrell: "Polish resistance, that's to be expected regularly"

I randomly shoot a round into the tree and heard a yell and someone fall to the ground.

Farrell: "got him"

Dranko: "did you even aim?"

Farrell: "nope, go see if they're dead"

Dranko: "yes sir"

He started walking out and found the body of the guy, he was still breathing. I walked out and knelt over him

Farrell: "thanks for the nice battle scar Polski"

I put my finger through the hole in my helmet as I said this, he spat at me.

Polish resistance member: "idź do diabła, niemiecki draniu"

I bolted my rifle, but, my hands couldn't get the rifle to my shoulder, I couldn't shoot. I sigh and put my rifle down. I look at Dranko.

Dranko: "sir what're you?"

Farrell: "you say shit, I will personally make sure you end up with sandbag duty"

He shut up and I grabbed my field dressing and wrapped him up, then I poured some water into his mouth from my canteen.

Farrell: "I'll run you to the village after I'm off duty"

I hid him in a bush, and the relief guards walked up.

Relief guard 1: "ready to be off?"

Farrell: "definitely, I'm going to go to the village and grab some things for myself"

Relief guard 2: "alright, have fun"

I nodded, then went into the bush under the guise of needing to use the restroom, then picked the guy up and walked to the village, taking him to a doctors office.

Farrell: "good Doctor, your friend in the resistance needs to work on his aim"

I placed him in a chair and nodded, going to a small market area in the town. I see Angela and Frieda looking at fruit. I sneak up behind them.

Frieda: "I told you, he's obviously a orange guy!"

Angela: "no! He probably is a fan of apples!"

Frieda: "no way! I wish he was here so he could tell us"

I lean in between them, and say

Farrell: "I'm a fan of both really"

They jump, then turn and hug me

Angela: "hey babe!"

Frieda: "hey hon!"

Farrell: "hey gals, how're you doing?"

Frieda: "great!"

Farrell: "that's good"

Angela: "wait a minute"

They saw the hole in my helmet and freak out. I laugh and pull my helmet off, revealing nothing but a little patch of shorter fur

Farrell: "I'm fine gals, bastard had bad aim"

Angela: "phew! Don't want our man dying on us!"

Frieda: "yeah!"

I laugh and shake my head, patting their heads and watching as their smiles show up and tails start rapidly wagging as I did. The Polish civilians around us were rolling their eyes, they weren't huge fans of us, to be expected. They purchase their goods and we go back to our barracks room to relax and recuperate. I'm certainly not going to miss lunch today.

Chapter Ende