001. flashback to that day

( third pov )

OCTOBER, 1998
LONDON, UNITED KINGDOM

8: 10 AM

revisiting chilton was a nightmare she didn't want to experience ever again, but here you are. listening to the very story.

chilton academy was ground zero for rich, obnoxious teenagers. and like it was said, it's living hell. they were drunk on drama and gossip. the rumours were terrible and cruel but most of them were true.

it was gossip girl come to life, except there was no blog revealing all their secrets, which in guzi's opinion, would be fun. she had considered starting one.

it was just another day, guzi laurent walked into school and her black mary janes clicked as she walked past all of her classmates, juniors and seniors.

whenever she walked through the hallways, she didn't turn to look at anyone and only walked straight to class. simply because she believed anyone and anything other than her best friend and her academics was not worth paying attention to.

as usual, guzi walked into her class looking distressed. marissa said, "hey, why do you look so.. stressed?"

"it's 8 am and i heard someone have sex in the girls bathroom, am i supposed to be cheery?" guzi replied, shooting a look to the girl marissa was talking to as she placed her bag down on her seat.

at chilton, the students didn't have to go to different classes, the teacher's come and go. each year was seperated into sections, and they were in 11th A.

marissa sighed, it was common. that was an everyday happening at school, "sounds depressing. well, i am here telling laurel about a movie i watched last night."

"what was the plot?"

"there's a celebrity and he starts dating his anti - fan for publicity."

"do not tell me that it has the basic 'i hate being famous' trope?" guzi sighed exasperatedly.

"it does, and i know it's cliché but it's so fun!"

"oh yeah, 'i am rich and famous and i hate my life and i want someone to love me for me '", she scoffed, "boring. why would i need a partner for entertainment when i can have a million dollars in my bank account?"

"gosh, you're so pessimistic." laurel commented.

"i prefer the term 'realist'." guzi replied and sat in her seat.

the conversation between laurel and marissa about the movie she'd watched continued while guzi took out 'the secret history' by donna tartt and continued reading.

"ooh, reading my recommended book, laurent?" guzi sighed, and looked up at the source of the voice which she would describe as agitating and grating.

it was timothée chalamet, her sworn enemy, the bane of her existence. his hair was parted from the middle, his uniform perfectly ironed and his bag hanging from one of his shoulders. she hated it.

"you never recommended me this book." she said, narrowing her eyes as he placed his bag into the place next to her.

the two sat next to each other, according to the seating chart. guzi had tried to get her seat switched but mr. chadha was not someone who can be persuaded easily.

"you saw me buying it in the bookstore the other day."

"right, i accidentally saw you. well, i bought the book because i wanted to and not because it's your favourite, but whatever helps you sleep at night." she replied, breaking the eye contact she made with him and focusing on the book instead.

"how i love when you shut me up." he said dreamily, supporting his chin on his hand.

"how i love to shut you up." she replied, turning the pages of her book.

she was on the part where henry barges into richard's room to ask him about whereas sorts of poisons while he was cutting his hair with a fingernail scissor.

"how's it so far?" he questioned, watching her as her eyes scanned the pages, while a movie played in her mind.

"better than your company, that's for sure."

he chuckled, "don't you worry laurent, you will miss me after i leave the school."

"no, i would consider that good riddance."

"well, you'd be relieved to know that i will miss you." he said, trying to get a reaction out of her.

"two years are still left before we graduate, chalamet." she said, continuing to not look at him.

he sighed, "yeah, but i am leaving school after this year."

guzi finally looked up from her book, "you are?"

"yeah." he said, and then slowly smiled, "so you care?"

she looked away and turned back to her book, "why would i? it's good for me, my competition will be leaving."

he laughed, "i was just kidding. i just wanted to see how you'd react."

"haha, didn't laugh." she replied sarcastically.

timothée looked at her sunkissed face and just wished, that maybe, she truly did care.