Chapter Eight: Triwizard Tournament

Spotify: Die For You by The Weeknd, Ariana Grande

Today is the day that all students were looking forward to most this year. Hogwarts was welcoming students from Beauxbatons Academy of Magic and Drums trang Institute for the Triwizard tournament that's held every five years. For about a century now, the tournament has been banned because of how dangerous the tournaments were and the death toll kept rising. However, this year they decided to hold one at Hogwarts to renew relations with the neighbouring schools of magic. They have revised the trials, of course, to be fitting for students to compete.

As we sat in the Great Hall in anticipation of meeting the foreign students, I glanced over to Natty, who was sitting at the Gryffindor table. Unfortunately for formal dinners like these, we had to sit within our own house. Samantha was blabbering away besides me, of course, but I wished I could have been sitting next to Natty or Poppy. Or Sebastian. I blushed a little thinking about him.

Before I finished my thoughts, Professor Black announced.

"As I'm sure all of you are aware, we are honoured to be hosting the most anticipated Triwizard tournament this year at Hogwarts. As such, you will find that students from our neighbouring schools will be joining us for this term. First, let us welcome Madame Amélie Moulin, the headmistress of Beauxbatons Academy of Magic, and her wonderful students."

The door to the Great Hall swung open and revealed what must have been angels behind the door. With gentle smiles on their face, they walked down the aisle with slight dances in their steps. Their bright blue uniform bounce with their every move and with graceful motions, they captured everyone's attention. Even I was mesmerised. I'm sure all the boys will be gawking after them all year.

"Please, let us now put our hands together for the strong young men of Drumstrang Institute and their headmaster Ivan Vladimir," Professor Black announced.

Before Professor Black could finish off his sentence, the door opened with a force. With the beat of the drums, boys donning red uniforms came marching into the Great Hall. There was one boy who stood out as he led the crowd. His face as hard as stone, he had his black hair tied into a small bun at the back with bottom half of his head shaven. His eyes were as fierce as a tiger hunting for its prey.

"Look, that's Dimitri," Samatha Dale turned to me and whispered to me as if I should recognise that name.

When I looked at her puzzled, Samantha continued.

"Oh Lilian, don't tell me you don't know him. He is only the most famous duellist from Russia. He represented his nation during the world duelling tournaments."

Oh well, I learn something new everyday. I didn't even know there's such a thing as world duelling tournaments.

"I must emphasise, however, to not take lightly of the tournament, unless you wish to have a meaningless death. Once you put your name to the goblet of fire, you are in contract to compete should your names be called. As such, please put considerable thoughts before participating," Professor Black warned.

"With that thought in mind, let us not spoil the mood for tonight. Let the feast begin for tonight's celebration!," Professor Black announced with delight. I don't think I've ever seen Professor Black this happy. But of course, I couldn't help but notice he couldn't take his eyes off Madame Moulin the entire night. I'm sure I was not the only one who saw.

————————————"————————————

"So... are you going to put your name in, Lilian?," Natty asked.

"Oh! Oh! You must, Lilian. You would be the perfect champion to represent Hogwarts," Poppy beamed with excitement.

"It does sound interesting but I'm not sure if I want to go through trials again after what I've been through last year," I said and I meant what I said. I don't know if I was ready to face these challenges again.

"We understand. But you should still consider, Lilian. It is only with constant challenge that you would improve and grow. We have so much hope for you, after all," Natty encouraged.

I just nodded and gave her a faint smile before resuming our breakfast.

————————————"————————————

"I heard you talking to Natty and Poppy about you entering the tournament?"

I looked up from my book to see Sebastian. It is surprising to see him in the library at daylight. I'm usually used to us sneaking in at night, after all.

"R-right. Well, they want me to enter and I do think the tournament does sound intriguing and challenging... but I'm not sure if I want to," I replied.

Sebastian didn't say anything for a moment and just looked at me with the most intense stare.

"You should do what you want, Lilian. You are too good that you would do anything people ask of you. I've learnt that what I did to you last year was wrong of me. I'm sorry that I kept pressuring you to take on Isidora's powers for my own selfish reasons albeit it was for Anne's cure," Sebastian replied with remorse on his face.

Oh, if only Sebastian knew that only he would make me go this far. I wouldn't just do it for anyone. No, not for anyone. He is special to me and by extension, Anne is special to me as well. I would die for Sebastian, if given the chance. That's how much he means to me. But of course, I wasn't ready to bare all my feelings to him yet.

So I just said, "Please, Sebastian. Don't be sorry. Both Anne and you are dear to me. I wanted to do my best for you both."

"I just want to make sure that you would enter this tournament only if you want to. After all, I hear people die in these tournaments," he said with concern in his voice.

"Afraid I will die, Sallow?," I quipped, hoping to lighten the mood.

"Seems nothing threatens you, Lilian," Sebastian said with a chuckle.

"If you do decide to compete, you will have my full support. I wouldn't want a ghost for a friend after all," he continued with a jest.

I nodded and smiled at him, with a dilemma on my mind. Should I enter the tournament or not?

————————————"————————————

Author's note

Hello there! If you are enjoying my story, I want to make it a bit more interactive. Please leave a comment if you think Lilian should participate in the tournament or not? I'm in a dilemma myself.