Chapter One

This is supposed to be like the movie ‘the Notebook,’ which I don’t own, either. It’s not historically accurate, and I’m not trying to make it be. I want this story to go along with the notebook more than actual Beatles history, so some things may be made up or off date-wise. Please just ignore the fact that it isn’t realistic and enjoy the story. Also, ignore if the story itself is rapidly paced and confusing.

---

  I am no one special, just a common man with common thoughts. I’ve led a common life. Although there may be monuments dedicated to me, and my name may be remembered, it has been forgotten by the one person I want to remember it the most. If only they remembered me, I’d have succeeded as gloriously as anyone who ever lived. 

  “Big day today,” I said as the nurse entered the room we were in. Her name tag read Prudence, and she was a woman who visited me quite often and took care of me. Today, she hadn’t come to visit me, however, but instead another patient, a man whom I had seen many times before.

  “You say that every day, you old devil,” she chuckled in reply.

  “It’s a lovely day outside,” I observed the scenery out the window. The sun was shining bright, and the sky was blue. It was absolutely beautiful. “Let’s go for a walk.”

  “I don’t think so,” the other man immediately rejected my idea, looking down at the floor.

  “Well, we’ve got to get you out of this room.” I hated seeing him cooped up indoors like this. “Come on, now. Some fresh air’ll do ya good.”

  “I’m sorry, it’s not a good day,” Prudence apologized. “I don’t think he’s up for anything today.”

  “Hello?” the other patient asked, looking at me as if it were the first time he laid eyes on me.

  “This is Mr. Lennon,” Prudence introduced us. “He’s come to read for you.”

  “Read?”

  “Mm-hmm.”

  “No. I don’t know.”

  “Oh, come on. You’ll like him. He’s very funny.”

  “…Alright.”

  “Good. I’ll leave you two alone for a while. I’ll be back to check in with you again in a little while. Have fun.”

  Prudence walked out, closing the door behind her and leaving me and the male patient alone together. I pulled out a leather notebook, opening it to the front page. The man stared at me with blank eyes, confused as to what I was doing. I pulled my glasses out of my front shirt pocket and put them on, my eyes scanning the very first page.

  “Where did we leave off?” I began to think out loud, the other man looking at me and wondering what I was going to do next. “Ah, I remember. The carnival. John was there with his friends, Stu and Ivan.”

  “John?”

  “That’s where they met…”

————————————————————————————————————-

  “Little man wins a prize!”

  “Damn! I clobbered that thing!” John turned to Stu, shouting in protest. “I’m telling you, these games are fixed.”

  “Then how come I won?” Stu smiled.

  John only chuckled in reply, heading over to the next game at the fair. He began walking when he noticed Stu’s girlfriend, Astrid, laughing and chatting away with a group of friends.