twenty five | the call

Start from the beginning

"I hate when you make sense."

"Same."

And we sit in silence. I remain laying on my stomach, hands now tucked under my chest and my eyes are pressed closed though no slumber takes over. Andrea is... doing whatever she's doing on the other side of the line. I'm fearful to ask, because I know my best friend is capable of anything with no shame, so I remain silently listening to her move about.

However, Andrea is a talkative somebody, so the comfortable silence doesn't last long.

"So, remember last year I went to this big function sort of thing, and I asked you to come and you couldn't?"

"Yes?"

"It's happening again this year and you're coming—"

"You know that if it's a night function, convincing my father to let me go is like convincing a wall to move. The wall would move. My father wouldn't be moved."

I refuse to recount the biggest lecture I had the day I got dumped and was seen with a boy who was kissing me at the front gate.

"Try again. You have to attend it! It's so nice, I can't even put it in words. I have the best time when I'm there."

"What is it about?"

"It's the Blood Moon Ball. It's a long story but it has to do with... things and things and celebrating traditions and generations and history and all of that good stuff, but it's not as boring as it sounds. It's so nice. The food is beyond amazing. The music keeps you on your feet. The people, the attires? People literally dress to impress. It goes on the whole night. Oh, and you hear generational stories being passed down. It's being hosted at Micah's house—"

"Can I ask you something?" Because if memory serves me right, I don't remember having this conversation. "Are you... you're aware of what Micah is. That much is obvious and I don't know how. However, considering you both are family friends, it's safe to assume that in some way, you not only know of his family and his kind... and I mean this as in creation-wise, but you... you're... are you? His kind? Are you the same?"

"Am I a wolf?" She laughs over the line. "I would have told you, if I was. Don't you think?"

"I think so, but considering what he said about protection from humans and whatnot, it makes sense if you never told me."

"Look, I know his kind. I'm very familiar with it. He's right, the protection of his kind of highly important, and yeah I never told you because I didn't think you'd be fond of the idea of me telling you wolves exist. Actually, you'd tell me I'm lying and I'd probably drop the subject. However, I'm not a wolf. I just know a lot about them. When I say we are family friends, I just mean somewhere up the line, somebody was friends with somebody and then got close and then the families knew each other and now we are related but not by blood. I hope I never gave off the impression I was related to him by blood."

I hum lowly, opening my eyes and then resting my cheek on my palm. "So you're not a wolf?"

"Yeah, that's what I said."

"Is Carlos a wolf?" Now, she's quiet. "Well?"

"He... is... how did you know?"

I'm not sure if it's because of whatever she's doing, or maybe she's stunned that I'd ask such a question but, considering her sudden love for Carlos and she just met him... it would make sense that he manipulated her, too.

I'm sorry. Manipulated is a wrong word. He... encouraged and convinced her.

"My best friend doesn't just fall head over heels for a guy, unless a gun was pointed at you, or somebody said or did something and they threaten you with something to do with anal— and I know you hate the idea of it, or... he is a wolf and you're more than willing to be his mate." I mumble the last part. "Which is kind of cool, because I guess I don't have to go through this journey alone."