Chapter 28: Dusk Until Dawn

Alcina searched every room in an attempt to find Daria. She had woken up alone in bed and was curious as to where she had run off to. At first, she thought she had gone out to bring her tea like she had started doing in the morning at the same time everyday. But when she had awoken, it was nearly an hour past the usual time which confused Alcina. At first, she waited for about ten minutes before getting up to search for her. 

It had been nearly three years since Alcina had received the Cadou from Miranda, and Daria had been by her side even when she had grown far taller than that anyone either of them had met in their lives. Her height, Daria could seem to handle but when it came to her need for blood, she grew increasingly uncomfortable. They had multiple conversations about it and Daria seemed to accept Alcina's new need for blood, even if she still seemed uncomfortable with it.

''Daria?'' Alcina called out as she stepped out into the courtyard. She was sure she would have found Daria here. She didn't know anyone who loved flower more than her lover. The Countess couldn't help but admire the flowers that Daria had so expertly taken care of.  Alcina kneeled down, softly caressing the plant as she smiled fondly at the memory if the first time she had seen Daria; sitting in a field of flowers.

Out of the corner of her eye, she saw a door slightly ajar. It was the door that lead to a place called The Tower of Worship. She had never entered the tower but did know that an ancient family had been laid to rest there. Sighing, she stood and walked towards the door before marching up the stairs. She sniffled and sneezed a few times due to the amount of irritating dust in the air but pushed through it.

Reaching the top of the stairs, she spotted Daria standing near a broken window, looking off into the distance. ''Darling, I've been looking for you everywhere. What are you doing  here?'' she questioned, but the woman didn't respond. Worried, Alcina moved to her and kneeled down, placing her hand on Daria's shoulder. ''Draga mea, what's wrong? Please, speak to me.''

''Alcina... how long have you been bottling maidens from the Village?'' she asked with a strange mix of coldness and deep sorrow.

The Countess flinched away, startled by the question. She had made sure she had hidden her little experiment in the dungeon. That's when Alcina saw the bottle of Sanguine Virginis resting the on the floor. Not being able to bare the sight of the bottle, she squeezed her eyes shut as her lover spoke.

''How long, Alcina. Please. Tell me.'' Daria begged, sounding on the verge of tears.

Alcina took in a moment to keep herself composed. ''A year.''

''That explains the disappearances in the Village.'' she heard Daria mutter. ''How long were you going to keep this from me? A few days? A month? Forever?...''

''I just wanted to enjoy the peace for a little longer before telling you.'' Alcina admitted, taking a step forwards. ''At first, it started as just being curious. But its helped me adjust further to... to needing blood. It makes it tolerable.''

''That's... quite morbid, Alcina.'' Daria said with a sobbing chuckle.

''Darling... please, can we speak of this somewhere less...'' she gestured around her, despite the fact Daria couldn't see her.

After a moment of silence, as if contemplating something. Finally, she turned around with a strange dagger resting in her hands. Alcina eyed it curiously before recognizing it. ''Where did you find that?''

''One of the books in the library. The books said it was called: The Dagger of Deaths Flower. It said it was here in the Castle somewhere, created by one of your ancient ancestors. I suppose I was just curious.'' she muttered sheepishly. Alcina smiled slightly before kneeling down in front of her lover.