the serpent queen

188 AC, Sunspear

"The castle is about to be ready, we will move onto it before the year ends.", Maron said. They were standing on the balcony, watching the courtyard. "She is quite excited to move on there. We had agreed to live there at least half of the year."

"You agreed?", he narrowed his eyes.

"She ordered and I chose to obey for my own sake. She can be a little..."

"Demanding? Yes, I know."

"So,", he turned to his brother-by-law. "I heard you and Myriah are still not in a good place."

Daeron chose not to look at him. "Forgive my manners but you are not even the last person that I wish to talk to about this."

"She looks upset."

"Jena had another miscarriage.", he said after thinking. "It is the fourth one, she also had a stillbirth. The Grand Maester cannot decide the reason, even the Archmaester of the Citadel seems to be lost. She is healthy, there is no reason for babies to die."

"Maybe it is not about the girl but an external force, mayhaps?"

"Such as?"

"Poison.", he deadpanned and Daeron turned to look at him.

"Why would anyone do such a thing?"

"Why did your boy have a quarrel with the bastard?"

"He has a name which is Daemon, I would be glad if you would refer to him as such.", he said with annoyance. "Baelor was and still is stressed. Why did you ask?", after observing Maron's face, he rolled his eyes. "Daemon is no child murderer."

"For sure.", Maron snorted. "I am just glad because I am not his most hated uncle anymore."

"Baelor doesn't hate you nor any of the boys.", he tilted his head towards him. "Though Myriah would be happier if they did."

"I can still have Maekar as my squire.", he offered. "If you are interested in making her angry or annoyed. He would also be close to his aunt. She wishes to turn the Water Gardens into a foster home for children all around the Dorne."

"She just had her first. Wouldn't it tire her?"

"You know your sister, doesn't listen to anyone.", he touched Daeron's elbow with his own in a playful manner. "What do you say about my offer?"

"Why you are obsessed with it?"

"Boy wants to be a kingsguard and his talents are getting wasted there. I can teach him the basics of being a knight and much more here. The last I saw, you were better but still, Maekar doesn't fit into your picture-perfect family -neither does Aerys nor Rhaegel. You sent them into Dragonstone, good. Send Maekar here too, do not torture the poor boy."

"He is five and ten, not a child anymore."

"Already old enough to be someone's squire. I mean you even made Aerys and Rhaegel, why deny him?"

"They quit their duties. They do not wish to be a knight."

"But Maekar does.", he insisted. "Look, we both know I am not a man who's filled with domestic love but I like that boy more than his brothers I will not deny that. I can swear in Sept if you wish that no harm will come to the boy in here."

"If I send Maekar here now,", Daeron said with a low voice, averting his eyes. "I will never have him back."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"It means Maekar has no reason to return back to his family and home. Myriah and I gave him no reason to stay. It may sound selfish, it is selfish, but I would rather him feel like he's getting tortured instead of sending him here, somewhere I know he would be happy."