Chapter Seventeen

Start from the beginning

"I wish I could fix you." He whispers into my skin. Pressing his lips over the band-aid that covers his bite mark on my shoulder. "I wish we had a normal life with boring-normal-people jobs."

"What would your boring-normal-people job be?" I ask him, and I see his lips perk up slightly.

"I'd want to own a bookstore. I really like books." He tells me, kissing my band-aid again. "What would yours be."

"A florist. I really like flowers." I say, using his same vocabulary.

"A florist and a bookstore owner." He says. "We could live in a cute little suburban house with a wrap-around porch."

"And a little swing in the front." I tell him, running my fingers through his hair.

"And I could marry you and we could be together in that house forever. Safe from the evil of this world." Declan sighs.

"Mr. and Mrs. Love." I say. "The bookstore owner and the florist."

He lifts up on his elbows and presses his lips to mine. "I may not be able to promise you a boring, normal life, Valerie. But one day, when things are safer, and we can exist somewhat peacefully, I'm going to marry you. You're going to be mine forever, do you understand? I'm going to give you the life you deserve."

"I'm happy as long as I'm with you." I tell him, kissing him.

"Then you'll never be unhappy again." I smile as he lays his head back down on my chest. "Valerie Love. That has quite a ring to it, don't you think?"

I nod and kiss him again. "I love you."

"I love you too."

***

"Valerie?" Declan says as he steps into the bathroom. "Valerie, what are you doing?"

I was standing in front of the bathroom mirror putting earrings in. My hair was done and my makeup as well. I would be wearing the dress Lore picked out for me if it didn't have a tear down the center, so instead, I was in jeans and a t-shirt.

"Are you going somewhere?" He asks, pure confusion on his face.

I shake my head. "I just wanted to dress up. It felt good doing it yesterday and I wanted to do it again."

He hums in response then comes closer to me, wrapping his arms around my torso and resting his head on my shoulder. When I'm finished putting my earrings in I drop my hands to my sides and look at my appearance.

I feel a slight smile appear on my face with what I see. I like dressing up and doing my makeup. It's like it hides all the things that I don't like about myself and makes me feel like me.

"Let's go out tonight." Declan says out of the blue.

"Tonight? Where?" I ask, surprised by this response. Someone in this house is betraying us, no matter where we go, Nolan will probably follow.

"Let's go into town. Maybe find a club or something with dancing. Something fun." He tells me. His arms are still wrapped around my torso and he looks at me in the mirror.

"but what about-"

"We'll be armed. I won't let you leave my sight. I'll go into the bathroom with you if I have to, I don't give a fuck. I want to have fun with you, Valerie." I smile at those words and then nod. "I'm going to go get dressed."

We were able to find a way to sneak out without being noticed by too many people. Declan told Lore and Kai we were leaving, and nobody else. Unless someone saw us leave by some chance, I doubt we'll run into Nolan.