An Unthinkable Fate II

Start from the beginning

"No matter at all. Please have a seat and we shall enjoy the wonderful food." Bruno nodded and found his seat as everyone sat down. Alina sipped her water as Lord and Lady Sheffield continued to fawn over Edwina and she watched her brother closely not knowing how this dinner was going to turn out.

"Do you shoot?" Lord Sheffield asked, grabbing the attention of Javier. "We have a fine stock of birds, and you are always welcome."

"Thank you for the invitation. I do enjoy shooting." Javier said, making sure to smile politely, however Alina could see just how unnerved he was with Bruno sitting across from Lord Sheffield at the head of the table.

"He is an excellent shot. My son has perfected every skill." Bruno praised but Alina and Javier could see that his words were hollow and empty.

"Well.." Lord Sheffield chuckled quite impressed.

"As does Kate!" Edwina added happily and gestured to her sister who sat beside Alina. "The two of them almost bagged a stag on our trip to the country." Kate locked eyes with Javier and she could feel the magnetic pull that had been there from the first time she had met his eyes.

"Do they teach young ladies to shoot in India?" Bruno asked glancing from Kate to Javier and then Edwina.

"Only the fortunate ones." Kate said softly. She exhaled and turned toward her mother's family. "Uh, Lord and Lady Sheffield, how long do you plan to remain in town?"

"Oh, we shall stay for the wedding. Imagine, the queen herself overseeing my granddaughter's nuptials. Her Majesty is kind to be so forgiving after everything that has happened." Lady Sheffield said turning to look straight at her estranged daughter. Alina kept her eyes on her plate feeling just how cold the elder woman was and it reminded her so much of her own relationship with her father and knew better than to draw attention to herself.

"Now, now. We are all family here." Lord Sheffield tried to calm his wife who simply looked back at him.

"Oh, yes, of course we are. Even after our daughter so callously rejected the match we had found her." Lady Sheffield continued.

"My dear, we agreed–"

"An earl, no less, with 12,00 acres. Any other young lady would've fallen to her knees in gratitude that her parents were showing such care." Lady Sheffield pressed as if she had lost complete control of her mouth. Alina reached for her wine this time feeling the tension around the table building with each word from the insufferable woman.

"This sauce is delicious, Lady Danbury. Have your cook give mine the recipe." Alina interrupted as she placed her glass down on the table and turned to her host. Already seeing what she had been trying to do, Lady Danbury smiled and nodded.

"It is the gooseberry, I believe." Lady Danbury explained then turned down the table to her blabbering guest. "Lady Sheffield, you've got quite the sweet tooth, I do recall?" There was a beat of silence before Lady Sheffield continued on with her rant.

"And all for what? A mere clerk, was he?" Kate looked over as her annoyance and frustration continued to grow. "And with a child from a previous marriage to God-knows-who."

"My mother as a name." Kate interrupted firmly.

"Lady Sheffield I must ask–"

"We could not show our faces in society for years. Not that she should care. She simply sailed away from all of us with that man, robbing us from our grandchild."

"Grandchild?" Mary repeated and placed her napkin on the table having had enough of her mother's assault. "I have two daughters with whom you have had every opportunity to form a connection. But the choice to shun us was yours alone."