Chapter 1

Chapter 1

"You're insecure," I grunted as I pulled my hair back into a messy bun. "Don't know what for. You're turning heads when you walk through the do-o-or." I pretended my hairbrush was a microphone as I pranced around my room. "Don't need makeup," I squealed. "To cover up. Being the way that you are is enou-u-gh."

Yes, I was making fun of my brother's part in "What Makes You Beautiful". And duh, Liam Payne is my brother.

My name is Delilah Payne, and all I have to say is that Liam's just a normal kid with a great singing voice. Seriously, get a grip. It's not like he's ruler of the world. Now that would be an accomplishment.

"Delilah, turn down that racket!" my mum yelled from downstairs.

"Yes, mother!" I shouted back and turned down the volume on my radio. "Excuse me for trying to hear my brother in any way possible other than the phone! I miss him!" I put an extra pout in at the end.

I was trying to make her feel guilty, since it was her and my father's idea to hide me away from the world. They say they're doing it to protect me, but just once I wanted to know what it's like to travel around the world like Liam did with his friends. What it's like to actually make a friend. What it's like to go shopping and pay for your own clothes.

"Come down here," Mum ordered and I sighed dramatically, putting down my hairbrush. I stomped downstairs.

"What is it?" I asked when I saw her in the kitchen.

She grinned at me. "I've got a surprise for you," she said enthusiastically.

I sighed again. "Mum, I've already seen the Avengers," I said. "And the Twilight saga and the--"

She ignored me and gestured for someone to come in. I gasped. "Liam!" I cried and jumped on him. He laughed and hugged me back.

I wasn't lying before, I really did miss him. He visited and called as often as he could, and whenever he did visit he would give me a present from each of the countries he and his band performed in. He knew how much I hated being cooped up in this ratty old place.

"I didn't know you were coming!" I said, finally letting go of him.

"Me neither," he admitted. "But it hit me as soon as I stepped off the plane: tour's over! Time to see my little sister!"

I grinned. "What are your friends doing?" I asked.

"They think I'm visiting my parents," he replied. "That's not a complete lie."

"Did they want to come?"

"No, they were pretty tired after the flight."

Darn, I really wanted to meet Liam's friends in person. He wouldn't let me. I didn't know why, but it was so annoying. He was so overprotective.

"What happened to your hair?" I exclaimed, running a hand through it. He had practically shaved it all off! "You never keep a hairdo for more than a year," I told him and he chuckled. "My favorite was when it was all curls," I said. "Those were soft and silky."

He rolled his eyes. "You thought those were soft? You should touch Harry's hair, everybody loves it," he said grouchily and I smiled.

"But this is fine too," I added, continuing to rub my hand over his head. "It's fuzzy."

He let me pet him for a minute before gently pushing me away. I pouted.

"How's Danielle?" I giggled.

"Oh, she's great," he said enthusiastically. "Brilliant, actually."

"Brilli-LIAM," I corrected him and he laughed. "Do you know all of them?" he asked and I nodded, feeling very proud of myself.