"If that's the case, and he has really moved on like you say I can set him up with my friends but not Akshay's sister. She's a terrible choice," he complained.

"She isn't," she countered. "In fact, she is perfect."

He rolled his eyes.

"Remember, how Akshay didn't accept the flat we gifted him on Diwali. Or she won't take our car and driver no matter how much we insist. These middle class people either care too much about their principles and values, or nothing at all. Priya is a girl with high pride and self respect. She'll never claim any right or take away something from us," she explained.

With his experienced with such people, Shubham still had his doubts. There are people who pretend until they win the trust and later reveal their true intentions. Not to miss, Ram's over giving nature. "What if Bhai does something for her or her family?"

"That shouldn't be a problem too. We like it or not, Shivi is now part of that family. Whatever Ram does for his in-laws will benefit our Shivi. Trust me, Shubu, Priya is the best choice for him. For us," she affirmed.

Shubham nodded vaguely, not convinced yet.

"I would worry if he had fallen for someone like Vedika or Priya's younger sister... the one who married her ex," she added.

"I don't know," he spoke after a minute, unsure and said, "Toh ab kya shaadi ki tayari kare?"

"Why not!"

****

Insecurities over faith ruled.

'Akshay's tacky sister.'

'He can definitely do better than that old grumpy teacher.'

Shubham's words echoed her mind reminding the hurtful things her father said sometime.

'Tere jaise baddimag ladkiyon ki shaadi nahi hua karti.'

She rushed out of the house which a while ago she thought will be hers.

'Tum koi hoor ki pari nahi ho.'

She widened her eyes to prevent the tears from spilling out.

'Aisi nakchadi ladki ke saath kaun apni zindagi bitana chahega.. na shakal, na surat, na sanskar.'

No matter what she pretended, people's opinion had always affected Priya. It influences her in a way that she loses her strength to fight or make choice for herself. Be it sir or any stranger.

Marriage is not always an equal partnership. Some days it's sixty-forty, some days thirty-seventy. It's a process of continuous give and take. She knew no matter what she does or how she supports him, she'll always be the less contributing partner in the eyes of people and was prepared for them doubting her intentions for marrying Ram, but what's the point if she's judged by her family?

She had spent her life, first proving her worth, later standing up for herself, and didn't have it in her to fight anymore. She was exhausted, mentally, physically and emotionally that she found it easier to live with Mahendra's curse.

Hurt and lost in thoughts, she didn't see Shivina approaching and bumped into her.

"Aaramse," she responded with a teasy smile but noticed her watery eyes.

Priya caught this and immediately covered up, "Holi... Colors all around... must have entered..."

"Oh," she worried, then handed her some tissues and offered to walk to the washroom so she can clean her eyes. Priya refused and insisted on joining their family in the pandal.