Aleksander could only sighed deeply and gripped the edges of the table, his knuckles turning white. "Our very own people are turning against us," he whispered. "I have been fighting this war alone for so long."

Milene quickly noticed,  the shadow in the room started to expand, creeping up the walls and threatening to take over the room.

She placed her hand on his, and instantly, the shadows retreated. He looked over at her, and it pained her to see her soulmate like this ,how much suffering his eyes showed.

"You're not alone," she said, reassuring him. "I might not be out to help you yet, hopefully soon I could lend you my help. So it will ease your mind," she lifted her hand and placed it on his cheek, caressing him.

His eyes shone with tears, slowly, he cupped the girl's cheek gently, affectionately."Finding you has been a gift for me. Milene my love, you just made my life brighter and also made me the luckiest man on earth," he said, staring deeply into her eyes.

She stepped closer to him and hugged him tightly, burying her face in his chest as he held her close to him, one hand on the back of her head. "You have no idea how much that means to me," she mumbled through the fabric of his kefta, and he could tell that she was crying from the way her shoulders shook.

For years she has wanted love like this. She may have her brother's love, her best friend's love. But many times past still she feels empty in the gap of her heart. She knows that both Mal and Alina love each other so much. They didn’t even know it yet, spending time with them sometimes makes her feel so lonely. She is afraid to be left alone.

"Let's go to bed and get some sleep, tomorrow will be a tiring day" he whispered softly, not removing his hold on the girl, still the wrapped hand on her waist,guiding her towards his bed, in which he laid her down gently. Before joining her, he decided to light a candle that is placed on the counter beside the bed. Then, he lay down right next to her and he instantly put his arm around her, making sure she felt comfy and warm in his embrace.

"Aleksander?" she asked sleepily, tracing a pattern on his exposed chest.

His grip tightened upon hearing his name fall from her lips. "Yes, love?"

"I'm so glad that you're here," she said softly. "I'm so glad that we met, I am so glad that I healed your wound that night. You are the best thing that has ever happened to me."

The General kissed her hair, leaning his head against hers. "Me too my love, thank you for existing," he breathed out, and the two once again fell asleep in each other's embrace, like many times before. In his dream

_____________

AS WINTER DREW to a close, talk turned to the King and Queen’s fete at the Grand Palace. The Grisha Summoners were expected to put on a demonstration of their powers to entertain the nobles, and much time was spent discussing who would perform and what would make the most impressive showing.

“Just don’t call it ‘performing,’” Genya warned. “The General can’t stand it. He thinks the winter fete is a giant waste of Grisha time.”

The Materialki workshops buzzed morning and night with orders from the palace for cloth and gems and fireworks. The Summoners spent hours at the stone pavilions honing their “demonstrations.” Given that Ravka was at war and had been for over a hundred years, it all seemed a little frivolous. Still, Milene hadn’t been to many parties, and it was hard not to get caught up in the talk of silks and dances and flowers.