xxvi. the apology

Start from the beginning

"Well, what was it about?" Maeve asked.

"That, I can't tell you. Well, I won't."

Slater's phone buzzed in her back pocket, and she took it out, setting it down on Maeve's duvet to see that Kiara was calling.

"Who's that? JJ, with an apology?" Maeve teased.

Slater shot her sister a look. "You can't tell Mom and Dad about that either, okay? I would literally never be allowed out of my room again."

Maeve laughed. "No, they'd lock you in the laundry room. It's the only room in the house that doesn't have potential JJ access."

"You're right," Slater said, standing. "I've got to get this."

She answered the call on the walk back to her bedroom.

"Hey, Kie."

"Hey, Slate," Kiara said in a quiet voice. It was almost like she was whispering. "How fast can you get to John B's?"

"Is something wrong?"

"No -- well, not really, kind of," Kiara stuttered. "Look, it's about JJ, okay? Just get here ASAP."

Slater's stomach sank. "Is he okay?"

"He will be," Kiara said with a sigh. "I think he needs to talk to you."

"Kie, what are you talking --"

"Pope's coming, I've got to go. Just get here."

The phone call disconnected, and Slater grabbed her keys before running back into Maeve's room. Her heart was racing, and she felt like puking. Was JJ okay? Had his father gone after him again? Had Rafe?

It was already dark outside, and her parents would be home any minute.

"Maeve, I have to go," she said, leaning into her sister's room. "Just tell Mom and Dad ..."

Maeve nodded and gave her sister a brief smile. "I'll tell them you got called into work or something."

"Thank you. You're the best."

"I know."

Slater ran downstairs and out the door, hopping in her car and speeding her way out of Figure Eight. She followed the familiar route to John B's, flying over bumps and through puddles that she usually avoided, out of respect for her old car.

Images of JJ laying beaten, bloody, or worse flashed through her mind. What did Kiara mean, he would be okay? What the hell had happened?

She pulled into John B's driveway, parking crookedly next to Pope's truck. She hopped out of the Subaru, running for the chateau.

"JJ? Kie? Pope?" She yelled.

A flash of bright light caught her eye, and she followed it to the backyard, where string lights of all different shades hung from the trees, surrounding a huge hot tub, laden with floaties and empty bottles of champagne. The hot tub was still warm and bubbling, yet none of her friends were around.

"Guys?" Slater called out again.

The porch door flew open, revealing Kiara, who was pulling Pope along with her.

"What is going on?" Slater asked as the two came into view.

"Wait a minute, why is Slater here?" Pope asked, looking between the two girls.

"He's inside," Kiara said, walking up to Slater. "Talk to him," she whispered, before grabbing Pope's arm again. "Come on, Pope. We're leaving."

"What do you mean? We can't just leave him here like this. Kiara!"