vi. the visitor

With the next few days free of pogues as they waited for the right day to head out in search of the Royal Merchant, Slater spent her free time with Maeve.

The girls frequented the Boneyard, the ice cream shop, and other favorite spots. Slater didn't hear much from the pogues — they were using the time to get other things done as well.

Kiara picked up extra shifts at the Wreck, giving Slater some much-needed time off. Pope was running errands for his father's delivery service, and JJ and John B ... well, they were off doing whatever JJ and John B did, especially now that John B was out of a job with the Camerons.

The sisters were on their way home, after staying at the beach after a day of surfing to watch the sunset go down. It was dark, and the sky was on the brink of rain.

They were headed for Figure Eight, jamming to Slater's Beach Boys CD, when Maeve spotted a figure ahead of them.

"Watch out for that guy," Maeve said, pointing to the man, who was stumbling along on the side of the road. "He looks drunk."

"Yeah, he does," Slater said, frowning. She squinted out at the man as they passed him, slamming on the brakes as she recognized him. "JJ?"

"Who J?" Maeve asked, craning her neck to look at him.

Slater put the car in park and immediately rolled down her window. "JJ!" She yelled out.

JJ stumbled backward as he turned around. A smile filled his face. "Hey, Slater! Long time no see," he said, walking back towards her.

If JJ was smiling at her, then he was most definitely drunk or high -- very drunk or high.

"What are you doing out here?" She asked. As he neared the car, Slater got a strong whiff of beer. "Are you drunk?"

JJ chuckled. "A little. I got in a fight with the ol' man and he kicked me out. I'm walking to John B's."

"It's going to start storming any minute," Slater said. "You've got at least ten miles yet to John B's."

JJ shrugged his shoulders. "I'll be fine."

"JJ, you'll never make it in this state," Slater replied. "Get in the car."

"I'm not getting in your car," JJ said, stumbling away from the Subaru.

"JJ, get in the car," Slater repeated. "You can come home with me." She turned to her sister. "Maeve, get in the backseat. JJ, get your drunk ass in my car."

Maeve got out of the car, waving to JJ. "Hi, I'm Maeve. Slater's sister."

"Hi, Maeve," JJ offered a drunken wave. "I'm JJ. Nobody's sister."

"Please get in our car, JJ," Maeve said, holding the passenger door open for him.

"You're a lot nicer than your sister, you know that?" JJ said as he reluctantly got in the car. Even drunk, he was still an asshole.

Maeve laughed and got in the backseat. "So I've been told."

After JJ was buckled in, Slater took off for the Shoupe-Cambry home.

"Maeve, do not tell Mom and Dad about this," Slater said, locking eyes with her sister in the rearview mirror.

"My lips are sealed."

"JJ, what happened?" Slater asked, glancing over at JJ, who was leaning his head against the window. His lip was cut and he had a growing shiner on his left eye.

"I told you. Got in a fight with my pops. He came home drunk and started a fight, and he kicked me out. I stole a six pack of his beer and drank it," he said.