CHAPTER 3: STALKER

I woke up with dark and damp soil under my nails. The first thing my eyes saw were the imposing pines surrounding me, making me feel small among them. The scent of nature flooded my lungs, cleansing everything in its path. It was clear that I had left behind the hustle and bustle of New York City. However, the sensation that every fiber of my body knew this place was present again, just like in that lavender field.

The forest had all the elements to be the perfect setting for a horror movie. It was cold, gloomy, and its dark green foliage gave the impression of elongated arms trying to tear my skin. The creaking of branches terrified me to the core; at any moment, a wild animal could jump out from among the pines and turn my dream into a nightmare.

I looked up at the sky, completely devoid of stars, except for one shining as a guide to the north of the forest. It was the only companion to the big full moon that bathed the trees with its soft light. Like a small firefly I had to catch, I started walking towards it. In the distance, a faint melody of violins and a piano called me back home.

At the end of the forest, just below the star, a magnificent castle of white stones stood at the top of a hill. I shuddered at the sensation nesting in my skin, one with the flavor of a cup of hot chocolate prepared by my father after a long day.

The immaculate fortress, with its lime-colored stones, boasted two large, pointed towers, and beneath each of them, its balconies were lit up by small white Christmas lights. The castle at its feet was covered in flowers of all colors, and their scent felt so real in my nose that I could swear I had been there before. Down the hill, there was a small path drawn. An ancient pier slept under the moonlight. The sound of waves crashing on the beach and the salty aroma of the sea also hit me like a slap of magic.

I walked down the pier, hoping to see my reflection in the water. A delicate red silk dress covered my body. It hung loosely on my hips and framed my bust where a beautiful silver necklace rested on my neck. The pendant was a tiny and simple daisy.

I sat on the wet wood and let my feet sink into the water. I stayed there for a few seconds, at peace, with my eyes closed. Hoping that eternity would reach my dream.

His touch paralyzed my muscles. His hand and mine intertwined perfectly, as if they had been designed exclusively for that purpose. The moonlight did not reach his face, but I knew who the person next to me was. His worn and scarred knuckles. His green eyes waiting for my approval. He watched me carefully as if he could not get enough of me. I could feel how the time around us became heavier and slower. In that moment, and for the first time in a long time, I felt beautiful, as if I were the most precious thing that had ever walked on the planet. Like the princess of a fairy tale.

I woke up restless, the sheets of my bed sticking to my body. A drop of sweat falling down my forehead. I caught my breath as if I had been submerged underwater for a while. The previous night, I had tossed and turned so much on the mattress that I had probably given myself hives on my legs and back. I needed to find some explanation for my episodes, so after a long debate between my gaze and the ceiling of my room, I had decided to go to the New York library in search of a book that would help me discover what was happening in my head.

My alarm hadn't gone off, and I was running late to Blue's to collect my monthly pay. Blue's was a café in front of Central Park where I had started working the previous year. I owed my economic independence to my best friend, who had spoken highly of me to the attractive and too young to own a café, Cade.

Outside, raindrops were once again covering the streets of Manhattan, giving small shades of gray to the windows of its buildings. I shook off the strange dream from my body, along with the intrusive presence of my mysterious neighbor in some corner of my mind. It was the last thing I needed to add to my list of worries. I couldn't start fantasizing about someone I didn't even know.