Ch. 23: Good News (and more good news)

LMAO, i forgot to put a chapter title. update coming at some point within the next week but im working on an ap lit paper that's due this week 

Kai's POV

I've been laying here, staring at my ceiling since 11 last night but sleep just will not come to me. I've tried praying, counting sheep, trying to do my physical therapy exercises to tire myself out ... all that ended up doing was making me sweaty. I showered and did my full self-care routine and by that time it was only 1. I watched youtube for about an hour and thought I was going to fall asleep but here I am. 

I sigh and roll over, facing my clock— 2:34 am. Against my better judgment, I sit up and turn on the light, scratching my head through my bonnet. I stare at my reflection in the mirror at the end of my bed and see the eyes of someone I don't recognize. I feel like someone weaker than I know I am. I throw the comforter off my legs and stand up slowly, leaning on my dresser. Every time I move, I'm reminded that I fucked up my knee and it's not the best feeling in the world. In fact, it's the opposite. 

I put on my robe and head into the kitchen to make tea. Slowly but surely, I make it without my crutches and set down a pot to make some tea. Should I call Michael? I think. I glance at the time and do mental math. It would only be 9 there but he's probably having dinner or going out after a long day of lectures. I take my mug out of the cabinet and sit it on the counter, sliding onto the stool and reaching to grab the tv remote. 

I turn the tv on and flip through the movies before deciding on City of Angels. This one should put me out for sure. I think. As the water for my tea comes to a boil, I hear a knock at my door. I wait for a moment then turn off the water, moving the pot off of the heat to the back of the stove. "I wonder if they have the wrong address?" I mumble aloud. "Just a second!" I yell. I pour my tea and cover it with a coaster before heading to the door.

The mason jar that I have sugar in is still in my hand when I get to the door. I check the peephole but the hall light is busted. Damn. I have to call Paul about that. I think. "I'll write it down." I mumble. I open my door with the chain still on and peek my head by the crack. "Hello?" "Kai?" I hear Michael say. 

Michael's POV

The minute Kai realizes it's me, her mason jar slips from her hand and she rushes to open the door. "Michael?!" I chuckle and her door swings open. I'm holding my duffel in one hand and a bouquet for her in the other. "Oh, they're gorgeous." I smile and she pulls me into her apartment, lips on mine before I could even say hi. My arms wrap around her waist and I let go of my suitcase, putting the other hand up to hold her face.

Her hand snakes over mine to place the flowers on the stand by her door. I smile against her lips and shut the door behind us, leaning her against the wall. My hand finds the lock and manages to lock the door before picking her up and carrying her to the couch. She adjusts herself on my lap before looping her arms around my neck. Kai's hand tugs at my jacket and I can't help but laugh and pull my lips away. "So eager to get my coat off." 

Kai rolls her eyes and replies, "You know how I feel about outside clothes on the couch." I nod and comment, "Rightttt. So it's not about me?" Kai shakes her head and says, "Shut up and kiss me again." I chuckle and tuck Kai's bonnet behind her ear. "Yes ma'am." After a few minutes of kissing, Kai finally moves back to catch her breath. I smile and she presses her hands against my chest, letting them feel my shirt. "How in the world are you here?" 

I put my hands over hers and look her in the eyes. "Someone that I love very much happens to have a dislocated knee." Kai smiles and puts her head on my shoulder. "Stop, you're making me blush."  I wrap my hands around her waist and interlock my fingers. "That's always my goal." She sits up and glances at her kitchen counter. "I made tea right before you came in. Do you want some?" I laugh and get up, tightening my grip around Kai's waist and sitting her at the island counter.