Lethal to the cleanliness of your clothing

Nolan Point of View:

"Are you kidding me???" Nolan said while looking at an empty testing chamber except for 1 cube, 1 button, 1 door and a few probably hydraulic presses that were just going up and down repeatedly for apparently no reason crushing a bit of junk metal below them. Nolan could basically feel GLaDOS mocking him over the voice transmission for having fallen for this trick.

"Don't worry, the next test chambers will actually be challenging. This one here was part of a standard test protocol where we test the test subject's reaction to high tension followed by immediate disappointment." GLaDOS said while chuckling a bit. Nolan was looking at the singular camera in the room with a face that said 'I'm not buying your bs'

Despite this childish prank, Nolan accepted his fate, threw the cube onto the button and went through the door that opened up. Behind the door was surprisingly no elevator. Every test chamber up to this point had one ever since the renovations that happened half a year ago.

"No elevator this time?" Nolan asked perplexed "That is because that wasn't an actual test chamber. Elevators are only used after a finished test chamber." Nolan nodded, and looked at the rest of the chamber. It looked similar to another one he had done not too long ago. The things that changed were: Turrets were added, there was one less cube and the tube for the gel could now not be moved sideways anymore.

To solve the puzzle you would originally have to get two cubes and put them on buttons near the door. Using the Alpha gel to move up to where the cubes were. Relatively easy. Now there was a problem though. There were two buttons but only 1 cube. He could probably open the door by standing on the button himself, but then he couldn't move through...

He was about to just move forward and get the first cube, though through the shrill voices that said "Target acquired" in almost sync, he was reminded of the existence of a few... unwelcome testing apparatuses. The turrets.

Leaning himself against a wall to not be shot he took a peak around the corner only to shortly after be blinded by a lot of lasers pointing directly at him. "This could be problematic... Hey GLaDOS, are these still rubber bullets?" Nolan asked, looking up at a camera. It has become a habit to always look at one of the cameras when talking to GLaDOS. "These are still rubber bullets, but since these are advanced chambers, they are made from a harder rubber than the others. If unlucky they can break your bones, but the chances of a fatal injury are basically non-existent."

"Good to know, because I'm about to do something very stupid." Nolan said while going into a running stance. "How s-" but before GLaDOS could finish their statement Nolan began running at full speed towards the Turrets. "Oh, that's what you mean with 'Stupid'. Yeah I have to agree, that's very stupid."

Against the odds, Nolan managed to get behind the turrets with only 3 shots having grazed him a bit. One after another he disabled the turrets by disconnecting some slightly open wiring. "I will have to cover those wires up in the next turret design, don't I? While I am at it, I probably should also update the aiming software..." GLaDOS grumbled- I mean thought out loud. "Well that's what the testing is for, right?" Nolan said with a smile on his face. GLaDOS grumbled something he couldn't quite make out, but he decided not to bother them further.

He walked over to the control buttons for the Alpha Gel. Since the mobility for the tube was limited, he had to work around that a bit. He looked around and saw small staircase opposite to the raised platform with the cube. In the middle of the two he put some Alpha Gel, then walked over to the staircase. From there he sprinted, and tried a long jump towards the Gel and in extension the ledge with the Cube.

It was close, but he managed to reach the Cube. He took it over to the button and placed it down. Then he sat down on it and thought. Looked around for anything. 1, the cube he was sitting on. 2, the buttons. 3, The alpha gel. 4, Himself. 5... The turrets...

He stood up and grabbed his cube, and walked straight over to the disabled turrets. He took one of the turrets and moved it up and down, then in comparison he took the cube and did the same. "About 1 to ten..." Nolan mumbled "Is something the matter?" GLaDOS responded seemingly instantly. "No, but I might have found a way to open the door."

He grabbed one turret after another and threw them over to where the buttons were, then walked over with one more turret and his cube in hand. He moved the cube to the right button and then started to pile up the 10 turrets on the other button. "Open sesame" Nolan exclaimed as he put the last turret onto the pile.

Surprisingly the door did open. "Congratulations. You solved the test half an hour faster than I expected you to. Go through the door and enter the elevator to enter the next test." GLaDOS gave their congratulation speech.

"So, was that the intended way to solve the test chamber?" Nolan asked while slowly walking towards the elevator. "Why do you think it were exactly ten turrets?" "Fair enou-" "You were obviously supposed to use a turret to block the door from closing." "Really??" "No, the timing would've been close to impossible and the turret would have been crushed." "Oh. So, it was the intended way." "Yes."

-----

Nolan sat on the ground, in front of an elevator, looking quite beat. "He- Hey GLaDOS?" Nolan asked, sounding short of breath. "Yes?" They replied. "I- If I die he- here... Tell m- my family I- I love them..." Nolan said while drifting of at the last few words. "Don't be over dramatic and at least go back to your room before falling asleep. I'll even give you an extra water bottle." GLaDOS seemed to be a bit annoyed at Nolan for almost falling asleep in front of the elevator.

"S- Sure, I'll take one." Nolan opened his eyes weakly. GLaDOS dropped a water bottle in front of him and then reopened the elevator. Nolan picked up the water bottle and started drinking. Then his eyes widened. "Is something the matter?" Nolan finished drinking abruptly and said "Yes! You didn't say you were going to drop the bottle or that I should ask you for another one if there wasn't one!"

There was a few notable seconds of silence from GLaDOS, then they said "What are you talking about? You sure you didn't just mishear because of dehydration?" Nolan squinted his eyes at a camera "I'm watching you..." GLaDOS sighed "Again, don't be over dramatic. After all, I am at least partially made to watch you."

Nolan wanted to make a remake, but couldn't come up with one. So he opted to try and change the subject instead "So what was up with that freaky goo anyway? You know the dark stuff?" "It's an acid gel that in high concentrations can kill a person in less than 3 seconds." "You already told me that, but why is something so dangerous in a test chamber???" Nolan exclaimed sounding way more outraged than he actually was. "Dangerous? What are you talking about? It was diluted to a safe concentration. At most it could make your clothes dirty and maybe itch a bit."

Nolan looked at the camera in front of him, remembering all the moments he thought he was so close to dying in a corrosive gel. Remembering all the times he was close to letting GLaDOS write out his final will. Then, after all these thoughts rushing through his mind, he exclaimed "Are you fucking kidding me-"

Space here, this my first author note, and I am writing it to apologize for one, not having upload a chapter in a while because of being sick, and also for this chapter being very short for my set standards. Again because of still being sick right now. It's a bit better, but still not very good. Also, the chapter quality might not be up to what I would like it to be either, but hey can't really judge that with this massive headache.
Anyway, out is space- I mean space out- I mean I am out, and my space- Ahsadoaisd. I'm out, my name is space. Thanks for reading. Cya in the next chapter.