"It's my fault." Hayley said shakily, the guilt gnawing at her. "They were there for me. Someone came to know I'm a wolf."

"You have been in New Orleans for so long now!" he shouted, eyes ablaze with anger as he made to stalk towards her. "How come you don't even know that the French Quarter is banned for wolves?!"

"Stop it." Vaishali gritted, stepping in front of her. "We haven't been here for long. But we've been to the Quarter plenty of times. I have zero idea how those vampires came to know today only that Hayley's a wolf. And stop fussing, they were there just for Hayley. And they didn't even sense me, let alone your wolf child."

"I brought you here so that Lucy may be safe." he gritted, looking down at her intimidately. "And you're just putting her life at peril."

"Nik, Nik," Lucy said hurriedly, gently pulling him away from them, her hand on his shoulder, "it's okay. I'm okay. Rebekah was there. And besides these two are wolves, one bite and they were done for."

"We're meeting Marcel tomorrow." he said firmly, whole body still high on anger. "So that he may know who's off limits for his teensy dogs."

"Yes, yes, we're meeting him tomorrow only, alright?" Lucy nodded, turning his face towards her, making him meet her eyes as the anger slowly faded away. "But, where is Elijah?"

"I. . ." he sighed, casting his eyes to Rebekah, "I gave him to Marcel."

"What?!" Rebekah looked at him with betrayed eyes.

"Marcel was nervous. It's bad enough one original returned to town, but two? His crew was getting antsy. He wanted Elijah gone, so. . ." he took a deep breath. "I gave him a piece offering."

"You bartered our brother?"

"I have a plan." he defended, looking at his sister. "Gain Marcel's trust, dismantle his empire, honour Elijah's wish that the baby be born. I am executing that plan the only way I know how. If you don't like it, there's the door. See if I care."

"Come on, Nik, alright for today," Lucy interrupted, grabbing him by the shoulders, "let's go to sleep."

"Okay," he nodded, albeit still looking at his sister, "but your ice cream first."

◇◇◆◇◆◇◇

Lucy's look for the chapter ≈

"So, what's the plan?" Lucy asked, pouring some milk from its carton

"Well, that depends on what plan you mean, love" Niklaus said amusedly, leaning against the granite counter. "My plan for global domination or Rebekah's plan to find love in this cruel, cruel world."

Rebekah smiled dryly at him before chucking a knife in his direction, which he caught with ease, smug as ever, dropping it into the sink as the wound healed immediately.