Chapter 39 - When in Brazil

Start from the beginning

"Uh, I'm gonna go closer over there," I announced to the group, pointing to the game, "I just wanna watch it for a bit..."

"Hey, I'll come with you." Eli, one of the boys walked next to me. It caught me off guard, I wasn't expecting anyone to come with me.

Eli was one of the only people I knew on this retreat beforehand. He was a junior when I was a freshman at the art school I went to. We would occasionally have a few conversations, and saw each other a couple of times at the café we both went to. Nothing more than that.

We walked in awkward silence for a few moments, before Eli spoke up again, "Do you like beach volleyball, Y/N?"

I glance up at him, "Volleyball in general. It's fun to watch."

"Yeah, same," He nods, "I used to play in high school, but wanted to pursue art instead. Plus, I wasn't necessarily the best."

I chuckle, "Same. My friends were really good though. Well, still are really good..."

We continued in silence again. My eyes were still focused on the court. I felt a wave of nostalgia, thinking back to the time I played beach volleyball with my friends.

Summer three years ago. That was a fun one.

"Wow, look at the score. The team with the ginger isn't doing very well."

"Yeah," I nod, "Wait..."

I squinted my eyes, trying to get a closer look at the players.

Eli shifts his gaze down to me, "What is it?"

The ginger... no way.

"Dammit, I can't move in this sand!" I heard a familiar voice yell.

My eyes darted toward where that voice was coming from, the other teammate.

"No fucking way..." I curse under my breath.

"Y/N, are you alright?" Eli's tone was concerned, but I wasn't paying any mind to it. My attention was on one thing only.

Some cheers could be heard by the crowd that was formed around this game; it had ended. The two teams began talking to each other, I could hear laughing coming from the guys who had won.

"Uh... Eli, I-I'll catch up with you in a sec." I began walking away from Eli.

"Wait, you shouldn't just walk around here alone." He followed close behind me.

"No, seriously, I'm fine."

"Wha- slow down, what's going on?"

"Y/N?" The ginger boy called out my name as we made eye contact, causing the two men who had beaten his team to turn their heads. The other man froze in place, whipping his head around as well.

"Hinata?" I was in absolute shock to see him here. Not just him, but the familiar brunette that stood next to him too. It seemed he was thinking the same thing, we both stared at each other with wide eyes, like we'd seen a ghost.

"Y/N?" He blinked a few times.

"Tooru..." I took a few steps closer to him, still not believing what was in front of me.

"Y/N, you know these people?" Eli asked, only loud enough for me to hear. But I couldn't speak. I was left completely speechless.

"I can't believe this!" Hinata beams, "How is it that we're all in Rio at the same time?"

"Yeah..." Oikawa tilts his head, looking me up and down. Suddenly, he took a hold of my shoulders, keeping his eyes on mine, "Y/N?"

All I could do was nod before he pulled me into an embrace. These arms I haven't felt wrapped around me for years, this feeling I never thought would return. It's all here again. In Brazil of all places. I couldn't help but wrap my arms around him in return, leaving Eli and Hinata confused.