Broken by the Bitterness of Lonliness

I woke up to the sun shining brightly through my window, which I inconveniently forgot to close the curtains to last night.  I shielded my eyes with my arm and groggily rolled over on my side so that I faced Abigale.  She was still sleeping, the room was completely silent except for the sound of her deep, steady breaths.  Just as I was about to nudge her in an attempt to wake her up, she rolled over on her back and groaned loudly and sleepily.  I smiled slightly, "Good morning." I whispered.  She turned her head and rubbed her eyes.  When she finally opened them to look at me, she was silently crying.  A sensation of worry came over me and I immediately pulled her to my chest as her silent cries turned into loud, gut wrenching sobs.  I whispered words of comfort into her ear until I felt she had calmed down enough to tell me what was wrong.  "Sweetie, what's wrong?'

      "She sh-she said sh-she was going to k-kill me for trying to steal you away from her.  Momma, I'm really scared."  She managed to choke out.

      "Who said that Abby?"

      "The girl that was in my room last night."

      "Do you know what her name is, hon?"

      "I think it was....Sarah."  My face froze in a state of shock.  Sarah? My Sarah threatened to kill Abby? Wait...I shouldn't be surprised about that.  What should surprise me is the fact that what I saw last night was in fact real.  I looked at my daughter whose eyes were no longer filled with fear, but worry.  "Momma, are you okay?" she asked.

      "Yes, sweetheart." I said plastering a fake smile on my face.  I wasn't okay, I was far from it.  My husband and first born daughter are gone and now my dead daughter is threatening my current living daughter.  Sounds fun, right?  I got out of bed, I needed a hot shower.  "I'm going to take a shower, wanna watch cartoons in my bed this morning?" I asked Abby, knowing she would happily agree.

      "Yea!" she yelled, running over to the low table that held my TV and turning it on.  She changed the channel to cartoon network, and with that, I left the room.  I started the hot water and stepped in, not even waiting for it to warm up.  The cold water hitting my head and draping my shoulders was a wake-up call.  I needed to get my thoughts straight--pronto.  Soon enough the water turned hot and I quickly added cold water to the mix so I wouldn't burn myself.  Soaking in the events of last night, I leaned my head back in the warm water and let it cover my face.  When I stepped out of the shower I immediately grabbed the nearest towel and dried my face, then proceeded with drying my legs, hair, etc.  I wrapped it around my torso and turned to face the mirror.  The bathroom was still a bit steamy, so it wasn't until I was less than two feet away from the mirror that I noticed the messily written message scribbled in the fog.

      You were mine.  She goes or you pay.

       - Sarah

      I stared at the mirror in shock.  Sarah, MY Sarah had written this.  I hastily wiped away the letters with my hand and forced myself to think nothing of it as I went about my daily routine.