Every Night She Cries

When we got back to the house, Abigale was nearly asleep.  I carried her to her room and put her in bed, not even bothering to make her put on her pajamas.  I took a quick shower and decided to go to bed myself; it was only seven thirty, but I had nothing else to do.  I threw on an old T-shirt and a pair of shorts.  I brushed my teeth and slipped into the cool, crisp, welcoming covers of my bed.  Ever since my husband died the bed always seemed somewhat lonely, I missed rolling over and seeing him wide awake, staring at me.  I missed being to be able to lean right over and kiss him whenever I wanted.  I missed his scent, it can't be described, it just smelled like him, sweet and musky.  I missed the way his hair stuck out in all different directions when he woke up.  I missed everything about him.  I missed my first born daughter as well, who died in a car crash due to my own fault.  Her father, Stephen, died shortly after.  He committed suicide for no known reason.  I laid on my back and stared up at the ceiling.  I was pregnant with Abigale when Stephen died, but he didn't know.  After that day my life seemed to be falling apart, I went into a spiraling depression and lost my job.  I also began hearing faint voices at the back of my head, I thought it was just the stress and grief playing tricks on my mind.  I quickly ruled out that option when the voice became clearer and I made it out to be Sarah's.  It shocked me to begin with, but then it began to soothe me.  She told me she was alright and that she was happy where she was.  After a while it began to scare me, her voice seemed to become deeper and it just had a bad ring to it.  I did my best to block it out and partially succeeded, but I still heard it from time to time.  It wasn't threatening, just surprising.  I rolled over on my back and felt a tear run down my face and straight onto my pillow, I missed them both so much.  I put my face in the pillow and I sobbed as hard as I could, it was better to get it all out fast and loud rather than slowly and quietly.  By the time the tears had stopped it was nine o'clock.  I rolled back over and faced the wall.  I sprawled out my legs, searching for a colder spot in the bad for me to lay, I closed my eyes and drifted to sleep.

***

"Wake up mommy! Wake up, wake up, wake up!"

"What is it Abby?" I groaned as I opened my eyes.  I looked over at my clock that read three AM.  "Is something wrong sweetheart?"

"Yes!"

"Well, what is it?"

"There's a girl in my room!"

"What? Surely it was just a bad dream.  Come on, I'll tuck you back into bed."

"No! Mommy, don't make me go back to my room!"

"Alright," I sighed. "get in bed with me." I scooted over and made room for her to get into bed with me. 

"Thank you momma."

"You're welcome sweetheart."  As soon as she was asleep, I walked into her room to see if someone was really there.  I wasn't surprised to see a small girl crouched in a corner by my daughter's bed.  "Sarah?" I whispered.  She turned around and glared at me, her eyes glowing red.  I knew I should have been scared or at least surprised, but somehow I wasn't.  I smiled and walked over to her.

"Get away from me." She growled.  The smile dissappeared from my face and I slowly started to back away.  She turned back around and I walked back to my room, shocked not by what I saw, but how she acted.  I got back in bed and closed my eyes, hoping what I saw and heard wasn't real.