Chapter 7: Unlocked

Start from the beginning

Steve trailed away from the door over to the side of the desk, he opens handily and gestured to an area of the room, as if he was confused about how the trained spy and assassin in front of him missed the large tin of colored pencils directly in front of his face.

"Ah." Bucky quickly grabbed them and began heading towards the door.

He stopped in his tracks, realizing he was missing something.

He turned to Steve.

"Uhh, Paper? I need some paper."

Steve just looked at Bucky.

Bucky let out a breath, "I'll explain later. PAPER"

Steve rolled his eyes and leaned over the desk and grabbed a few sheets of printer paper he had. He handed it to Bucky.

Bucky quickly grabbed the paper, accidentally crinkling it a bit in his grip.

He rushed out of the door. Beginning to run back to the stairwell.

Steve poked his head out of his door, watching his very large friend frantically running down the hallway with some colored pencils and paper.

"Thanks, kid" He shouted while busting through to the stairwell door.

Just as you were about to get up and move, you heard, and well, felt, the pounding of heavy feet running back towards you.

You felt the thump of a body hitting the other side of the wall, and sliding down.

Bucky quickly grabbed every shade of blue that was in Steve's colored pencil case.

He took three and scribbled a few times in each.

He got his pen and wrote on the top of the page,

"Gotta be a more specific doll."

He folded the paper and slid it under the door.

Hopefully, you were still there.

He was pretty sure you were, because he heard your heart beating, and it seemed like you were sitting in the same position he was.

But his mind might have been playing tricks on him, maybe it was his own heartbeat he was hearing. Because of the running and overall adrenaline of this entire interaction, he wasn't sure.

But he hoped you were still there.

You smiled as you opened the paper.

On the page, was a classic blue, a navy blue, and a light blue.

"Gotta be a more specific doll"

You read the message and your face turned bright red, while you tried to stop yourself from smiling.

You circled the navy blue. Writing "This is probably the closest."

Sliding the paper back under the door.

Bucky was determined now.

He picked out three more blues but they were similar to the navy blue.

Scribbling the colors on another piece of paper and sliding it back under the door.

He was going to keep this interaction going for as long as he could. And he was enjoying every minute of it.

You shook your head, circling another blue, he was getting closer.

This went on for a few more colors. But Bucky ran out of blues to try.

"I ran out of blues. :("

You let out a verbal laugh, but only for a moment. Clapping your hand over your mouth to stop the sound from coming out.

But Bucky heard it.

He hasn't been able to get drunk in a long time due to the serum. But this was the closest he's ever been to it. He was drunk on the little laugh you let out. He smiled to himself as he felt his cheeks turn red.

God, he could listen to you laugh forever.

But while he was lost in thought, he swore he heard the faintest pitter-patter of feet.

You had gotten up from your spot on the floor and walked over to your desk.

Searching for something.

Where the hell did I put them?

Ah. Found it.

You rushed back to the door, and sat down, as quietly as possible.

Sliding the item back under the door.

Bucky watched as, was that a paint sample? Like the one, someone gets when they are picking a color to paint a room?

He reached for it.

It was like, a deep and rich blue but lighter and soft.

Maybe it was just the fact that this was your favorite color, but he swore that this blue. This paint swatch was the most beautiful color he had ever seen.

While inspecting the paint sample, Bucky turned it over.

Usually, the back of these things have a plain white color and printed at the bottom is the name of the color.

That is what he found when he turned the paper over, but that isn't what caught his attention.

Written in beautiful cursive.

"In silence and calm,

It soothes the mind.

Delight for eyes,

The color of the sky"

Just as Bucky was about to reply,

Wanda appeared beside him, looking down at him sitting on the floor.

The just blinks at him.

She rolls her eyes and holds out her hand.

Bucky looked at her and then slowly reached beside him.

Grabbing the flowers he had brought with him, which were the wrong color.

He slowly put the bouquet in her hand.

He watched as Wanda, grabbed the door handle and turned it.

She walked into the room, closing the door behind her.

Bucky listened as Wanda turned the lock.

The door had been open the entire time.

Wanda turns her head when she sees you sitting on the floor beside the door.

Tilting her head to the side, letting a slight smirk spread across her face.

"Been busy?" She says in a teasing tone.

You fiddle with your hands, barely whispering,

"A little."