Chapter 1

••sabrina••

I sigh and look at the dusty chalkboard. Mrs. Regelli drags on about how important it is to keep the isolated variable on the left side.

Don't get me wrong, I love math, I just don't think Mrs. Regelli is the best at it.

"So, if 11x + 7 = 40, what is the sol-"

My hand immediately shoots into the air. I see glares, confused glances, and snickers from the back.

I ignore them and look at the teacher's dull face, and she nods and points to the problem.

"The solution is 3 equals x." This time I hear full-out laughs from the back and a boy shout, "Nerd!"

Ugh. Alex.

The most popular boy in school, who hangs around this girl and a few guys.

Stellar looks, but less than stellar grades.

Oh, and he's a total jerk. He thinks he's amazing, and the only reason he passes anything by a hair is because his father is an awesome person and is surprisingly related to him (if that's even possible) and owns Chase Enterprises.

He grins cheekily and I glare at him. I mouth a few words I wouldn't say out loud, and his grin turns into a look of surprise. I smile smugly and turn back to the teacher.

"Anyways, the answer is 3-" I turn back and glare at him once again. "Because you move the 7 to the 40 and flip the integer. You get 33 and divide 33 by 11 to get 3."

(YOU ARE WELCOME THIS SENTENCE COULD HELP YOU LATER IN LIFE LOL JK)

Alex groans and asks, "Can we go now?" Just as the bell rings.

Mrs. Regelli sighs and waves her hand at him, and he hops out of his chair, just as I feel something sticky on the square of my back.

"Bullseye!" I hear a dork, Jones, say.

I turn back and see Alex holding a straw and a spitball. He smirks and I mouth, I'll get you.

At least now I have gym.

•~•~•~•

I slip on my shorts and hear Abbey mouthing off about me. She thinks I would actually date Alex and he would date me.

Ew.

I yank the locker room door open and slam it shut. No luck. It opens again and I hear Rory, my best friend jokingly say, "Ew! The boys will see us."

I grin and flip my hair and put it up in a ponytail. I feel the back of it, trying to magically make it straight and sleek. Again, no luck. I sigh and start jogging to my spot. I wave to my basketball coach, who also coaches Rory.

We're both on the basketball team, which can be tiresome sometimes with all the practices, but is also a blast.

I hear a whistle blow and get into my area.

•~•~•~•

I sigh and flip my house keys up and put the key in its hole. I open the door and see a figure grab a banana. Probably my brother.

I turn around to make an iced coffee for a second and feel something gooey stick to the back of my head.

A spitball.

I yell up the stairs, "I'll get you!" And run at my fastest pace.

Sadly, I'm not getting anywhere, being awfully short.

I run to my brother's room, out of breath, and unzip my backpack.

His eyes widen as he sees what I'm holding.

"Hey, hey, Sabrina, let's not get crazy here. I'm sorry."

I smile innocently and bat my lashes. "That's all I needed to hear."

I throw the balloon, and cackle evilly as he gets soaked.

"Told you I'd get you at home, Alex."