Chapter Forty Regret Will Always Be In The End

As the police approached him, Augustus was still trying to plead with Samantha. "Please, Sam, forgive me," he said, "we can start over, a new life together as a family."

Samantha just stood there with a cold look in her eyes, not moved by Augustus's desperate pleas. "You had your chance, Augustus," she replied, "but you chose to hurt me again and again. I can't forgive you for that."

The cops then stepped in and handcuffed Augustus. Samantha watched as they took him away, feeling she was free from the constant fear and pain he inflicted upon her.

As the police car drove away, Samantha turned to walk back to the apartment, feeling a mix of emotions. Part of her was glad that justice was served, but another part was still hurting from all the years of abuse.

Augustus was screaming and banging on the cell door, demanding to be let go. But the police officers just locked the cell and left, leaving him alone with an detainee who was sitting on the opposite side of the cell.

With him was an old man, who looked to be around 60 to 70 years old. He had been quiet until now, when he suddenly started talking to Augustus.

"Son, I will leave this jail in 2 days but I'm pretty sure the life I left outside this four cornered room was already gone. Regret will always be in the end, I guess," the old man said in a tired voice.

Augustus sat alone in his jail cell, his mind racing with thoughts of Samantha.

He couldn't believe he had let her go, after everything she had done for him. The old man's words echoed in his mind, hitting him harder than he expected. He had taken Samantha for granted, mistreated her and hurt her in so many ways.

As the memories flooded back, Augustus felt a lump form in his throat. He had always been so cruel to her, never appreciating the love and care she had given him. Now, as he sat in his cell, he realized just how much he needed her.

With tears streaming down his face, Augustus fell to the cold, hard floor. He couldn't hold it in any longer.

He cried for all the times he had hurt Samantha and their baby girl, for all the moments he had taken her for granted, and for all the love he had failed to show her.

As Samantha and Bryan walked out of the courtroom, their faces were beaming with joy and relief.

"Can you believe it?" Samantha said, turning to Bryan with tears in her eyes. "We did it. We actually won."

Bryan smiled back at her. "I never had a doubt that we would. You're an amazing mother, Sam."

Bryan suggested that they go out and celebrate. "There's this new bar that just opened up down the street," he said. "Let's go grab a drink and toast to our victory."

Samantha hesitated at first, still feeling a bit overwhelmed by everything that had happened. But Bryan's excitement was contagious, and she couldn't resist the idea of finally being able to relax and have some fun.