Chapter Thirty-nine The Tables Had Turned

The judge entered the room, and everyone stood up. Samantha's heart was beating so fast that she thought it might burst out of her chest. She felt her lawyer squeeze her arm reassuringly, and she took a deep breath.

Augustus had borrowed a large sum of money from a loan shark to pay for a trusted lawyer to help him with his case.

During the divorce proceedings, Augustus was adamant that he had a right over Samantha's life and that he was the father of her child.

However, Samantha's lawyer was quick to reveal Augustus' past history of physical abuse, alcoholism, and drug addiction. The courtroom was filled with gasps and murmurs.

The authorities decided to conduct a drug test on him. Augustus complied, confident that the results would prove his innocence. But as he awaited the results, he began to feel a creeping sense of dread. What if the test came back positive?

His fears were soon confirmed when the authorities informed him that the test had indeed detected drugs in his system.

The judge looked sternly at Augustus and asked him to explain himself. But Augustus just sat there, silent and defiant, refusing to acknowledge his actions.

Her lawyer continued to present evidence of Augustus' violent behavior, showing old photos of Samantha with bruises and scars. As the photos were displayed on the projector screen, Samantha felt a lump form in her throat.

She had tried so hard to hide her pain from the world, but now it was all laid bare for everyone to see.

Augustus tried to defend himself, claiming that Samantha had provoked him into his violent behavior. But the judge wasn't having any of it. "Mr. Augustus, you have a clear history of violence and abuse towards your wife," he said sternly. "I can not in good conscience, grant you any rights over her or her child."

The judge declared that he did not deserve the right to be a father to their unborn child and granted Samantha full custody.

Augustus, on the other hand, was sentenced to 20 years in prison without bail for his heinous crimes. Samantha couldn't help but feel a sense of relief and justice served as she heard the verdict.

She turned to Bryan who was sitting beside her in the courtroom and held his hand tightly. He squeezed her hand back, silently telling her that everything will be alright.

As they walked out of the courthouse, Samantha couldn't contain her emotions and broke down in tears. Bryan held her tightly, giving her a shoulder to cry on.

"It's over... it's finally over," Samantha whispered, sobbing.

Bryan just hugged her tighter, "Sam. I'll always be here for you and our child. Always."

As they walked away from the courthouse, Samantha looked up at the sky and whispered a silent prayer, thanking God for giving her a second chance at life and for leading her to the kind-hearted and loving person that is Bryan.