Chapter One: The Wife's Agony

Samantha couldn't sleep, her mind racing with worry as she waited for Augustus to come home.

It was well past 2 am, and he still hadn't returned. She knew what that meant.

This wasn't the first time Augustus had betrayed her, but each time felt like a fresh wound, tearing apart the fragile remains of their marriage.

Tears welled up in her eyes as the thought of her husband being unfaithful once again crossed her mind. She closed her eyes, trying to block out the images, but a tear still managed to escape and roll down her cheek.

Finally, the sound of the door opening snapped Samantha out of her thoughts. Augustus sauntered in, looking disheveled and reeking of perfume.

He didn't even try to hide his infidelity, and the sight of the lipstick on his collar and the love bites on his neck made Samantha's stomach churn.

"Where have you been?" Samantha asked, her voice tight with anger.

Augustus shrugged, a smug grin playing on his lips. "Out having some fun, why do you care?"

"I'm sorry, Augustus," she said, her voice soft and gentle. "I just worry about you, that's all."

Augustus just rolled his eyes and climbed into bed, turning his back to her. "Just leave me alone," he muttered, his voice cold and distant.

Samantha felt like screaming. How could he be so heartless, so indifferent to her feelings? "I care because you're my husband, and you've made a commitment to me."

Augustus let out a scoff. "Please, don't give me that crap. You're nothing but a nagging bore who can't satisfy me."

Samantha's eyes filled with tears as Augustus's words stung her. She had given everything to their marriage, had tried to be the perfect wife, but it was never enough for him. He always wanted more.

"You're the one who can't be satisfied, Augustus," Samantha said, her voice shaking with emotion.

Augustus's face twisted with anger. "You don't understand anything, Samantha. You're just a pathetic woman who can't keep her man happy."

Samantha felt like she had been punched in the gut. How could he say such cruel things? Didn't he know how much she loved him, how much she had sacrificed for him?

"You know what, Samantha? You're nothing without me. No one else would want you. You're lucky to have me." Augustus continued as his face twisted with anger, and he stormed out of the bedroom, slamming the door behind him.

Samantha felt like she had been kicked in the gut. Was that what he really thought of her? That she was nothing without him, that she was lucky to be with him?

Samantha's feelings were more isolated and helpless than ever before. She knew that things would never change between her and Augustus, and she was tired of the constant lies and infidelity.

Flashback......

Samantha's heart was beating fast as she walked down the aisle in her beautiful white dress. She couldn't believe that she was about to marry the man she loved.

Augustus was waiting for her at the altar, looking handsome in his suit.

As she reached him, Augustus took her hand and whispered, "I promise to love and cherish you, Samantha, for as long as I live. I vow to protect you and keep you safe, and to support you in all your dreams and aspirations."

Samantha felt her eyes fill with tears as Augustus continued to make his commitment to her. She couldn't believe that she had found someone who loved her so much and was willing to spend the rest of his life with her.

As they exchanged their vows, Samantha knew that she had found her soulmate. She couldn't wait to start their new life together, to face whatever challenges came their way as long as they were together.

Little did she know, however, that their marriage was not going to be the fairy tale she had hoped for. The man she had loved and trusted was going to break her heart in ways she never could have imagined.

But in that moment, as they said their "I do's," Samantha was filled with hope and love, looking forward to a bright and happy future with Augustus by her side.

......

Samantha collapsed onto the bed, feeling a sense of relief and sadness wash over her. She knew that her marriage was terrible all the time, and, that she couldn't go on living like this. But the thought of starting over, of facing life without Augustus, terrified her.