Chapter Two

***

The night drifted by in dreamless sleep.

Woken by the sounds of the ear-piercing screech of birds and sunlight scorching your face, you rolled over to the other side of your pillow with a groan. As if the chirping wasn't enough the alarm clock placed on the nightstand conveniently out of reach began blaring. You sighed, enduring the ringing for a minute until inevitably getting up and turning it off.

Stretching outwards you twisted your stiff back until you heard a satisfying crack and felt your body relax.

You sluggishly walked over to the dresser and took out a medicine bottle, popping a capsule. You weren't a big fan of the medicine but since you've been working relentlessly for hours on end for the past month, it's the only thing that has been keeping you upright.

You proceeded to wash up quickly, not wanting to use more hot water than necessary because of Junpei's tendency of taking hours to take a simple bath claiming it took that long for the water to reheat. (If the water doesn't burn it's not hot enough).

You dressed into your tightly fitted uniform and looked at yourself in the mirror. You made several custom changes to the attire that were approved and deemed appropriate as long as the crest of the Tenryou commission remained present.

Reaching out you grabbed your quiver and summoned your bow to inspect it. Pulling back on the sting it didn't feel as tight as it should, perhaps dull from the lack of use. I'd have to hold over for the day until the string could be tightened.

On the way out you wrote a note to Junpei, informing him that you were going to leave immediately after washing up and to expect to have dinner prepared slightly later than usual. In reality, you wrote.

'Going work. Food.'

***

You arrived at the entrance to Inazuma city to rendezvous with your parole squad.
Everyone in your six maned squad was present and ready to move out, except Heizou.

'Did he get lost?' You thought to yourself peering around at the possibility of him arriving late. 'No. Kujou wouldn't have missed out on the details of mandatory parole'

Several scenarios crossed your mind but they all seemed unlikely. You thought back to yesterday and realized who you were dealing with. "Trust him he says..." You snidely remarked to yourself.

15 minutes passed agonizingly slow before your squadron leader, Fuuko, finally spoke up. "We're behind schedule. The rookie should know to meet us in Ritou."
Kujou would kill you if Heizou didn't come in on his first official day of work under your care. She'd do the same if the parole didn't commence per schedule either.

The tightrope you walked, burned both ways with Heizou fanning the flame.

Either way, you're destined to suffer the burn.

"Let's leave then and if he doesn't show he'll be dealt with accordingly" You spoke up. 'Strangling Heizou wouldn't be enough to satisfy your disdain for him'

***

The sun shone bright and warm directly over the troupe, casting long shadows across the ground. In a tight formation, synchronized steps, and eyes keenly surveying the land for any signs of danger you kept a steady pace toward Ritou.