Chapter one

***

The station was often busy but never this busy.

Every day more cases piled in and there simply wasn't enough manpower to tackle each one brought in. You were reaching your limit. It started as just lifting the burden off one person's shoulders and doing their work but then came the others alongside your workload.

You wouldn't even receive credit let alone a bonus for practically doing the job of four. The general wouldn't be much assistance either, most likely to proclaim 'You shouldn't have taken on the work if you couldn't handle it.'

The clanking of thick heels drew the attention of the station and silence seized the once-bustling atmosphere. Looking up you caught the dreaded march of the authoritative figure, Madam Kujou Sara, followed behind loosely by an unfamiliar boy.
Her appearance was unexpected let alone unwanted. Coming to the office in the flesh never spelled out anything good. To further your disarray, her march made its way to your desk out of everyone else within the station.

The gaze of Kujou Sara was a sharp one. If looks could kill she would never draw her blade. While her face remained stagnant, the look of annoyance was hard to miss. On the contrary, the boy held an ever-so-present grin as he glanced about the station, possibly finding amusement in the stressed environment.

"Good evening Ms. [Y/n], my apologies for suddenly dropping in without further notice. I am aware my presence seemingly causes discomfort." She glanced over her shoulder to the snooping eyes that ducked away immediately.

Before you could reply the rookie interjected with a devious smile plastered over his lips.

"I can concur, such a stern and serious personality would be most suited for leading an army. Detective work is an art that requires wiggle room and an open mind that I sadly don't see with you."

"Watch your tone Shikanoin, you've been under my watch for merely an hour, and you've proven yourself to be quite the handful. While you may have prior experience working alongside the Bantan Sango Detective Agency, insolence within the Tenryou Commission will not be tolerated."

He looked like he wanted to continue nagging but held his tongue. However, his wandering eyes settled on you.

His gaze was penetrating, yet captivating. Unable to look away, you peered back into his eyes with an uncomfortable silence eroding. On closer inspection, you noticed on his round squished face two petite beauty marks laid tucked ever so discreetly underneath each of his hazel green eyes.

Although he wore a sweet smile his eyes betrayed him.

"Regardless" Kujou spoke up, breaking the tension in the air. "This is Shikanoin Heizou, formally acquainted with Bantan Sango Detective Agency as mentioned. He will temporarily be placed as your assistant until further notice."

You glanced back at Heizou and felt an internal panic rise.

"If I may be so bold, I don't believe I'm suited for getting him acquainted. Someone else might be better suited for the task" You spoke up in protest.
She paused for a moment perhaps thinking over your request or potential punishment for speaking out of term.

"In normal circumstances, I would consider it. However, the commission is backed up and there is no one else to train him as of now. You are also the furthest behind in work within the station." Your face blanked. ''Working alongside someone else should bring the both of you up to speed. Otherwise, overtime will be put in order."