Chapter 10: Oh Baby

Start from the beginning

"Stop it, I wasn't finished!" He gave another hearty laugh and squeezed my hand. 

I bit my lip to stop myself from joining him. I liked giving him flack as a form of flirtation. He looked at me with wide eyes but his expression quickly changed when he glanced down at my mouth. I purposely let my bottom lip go and it bounced a bit due to its fullness.

He pulled his hand away from me and ran his fingers along his jawline.

"Don't test me like that." His voice was low and husky.

I melted all over again but I didn't want him to know. "What are you talking about?"

"I'd kiss you again if it didn't go against the point I'm trying to make." He rubbed his hand over his face and took a deep breath.

"As I was saying before I was so rudely interrupted" Emphasis on the last word but there was still a smile, "we could go back to my place and change into some warm clothes. Order takeout, watch a movie or something."

"Or something?" I eased up, more curious this time.

"Believe me, that cocktail of hormones is strong and you are irresistible," He spoke with a dramatic flair, "but.." he paused and became more serious, "consent is a must and I would never want to do anything that would make you feel uncomfortable. It can be what I suggested, nothing more."

"Thanks," I said softly while my heart thrashed in my chest. 

He brought one finger to his lip in a playful way, "Unless you want more." A quick wiggle of his eyebrows.

"Pedro!" I let out a loud laugh, "You're too much."

"Seriously though, if this feels rushed I can drop you off at your house. I only proposed the first option because I'd hate to end our date so soon. And an uber back here would be expensive."

Hate to end our date so soon.

That sentiment felt real and true and soothing in a way that let me know I wasn't alone in wanting more time together, even if the situation would be different than what I had anticipated.

"You said we could change into warm clothes. Do you just have women's clothing lying around your place?" I questioned, trying not to sound scrutinizing.

"No," His expression went a little sour before reverting back to normal, "I thought you could borrow some sweats and a t-shirt."

I couldn't help the splash of red that spread across my cheeks.

"Only if you want." He said sweetly. "There's no pressure."

His words gave me some semblance of control, which felt refreshing. While there was a potential risk of being in a private space with him because he was still (mostly) a stranger after all, I was beginning to see bits and pieces of authenticity and vulnerability. He was unyielding with his charm and while that lead to moments where I doubted his intentions, I appreciated how clear and concise he was given the current circumstances.

"I acquiesce," I replied, "This situation is pretty dreadful."

"Let's make it less dreadful." He put directions to his house into the GPS.

I tried not to overthink my decision. It would be casual, just the two of us waiting out the rain. In his apartment. Alone.

"Do you want to play some music?" Pedro's voice pulled me out and away from my thoughts.

"What?"

"Here, pick something." He handed me his phone with Spotify open.

"From what you listen to or?" A feeling of meekness took over.

He did something in my periphery, reaching upwards to a spring-loaded compartment above the rearview.

"Just, whatever. Seems like you have good taste."

I bit my lip and tried to think of an artist but my mind went blank. Then, I thought of Helado Negro but that felt too on the nose, a little predictable, and perhaps too amorous in the rain. What did he think was appropriate for this car ride?

"Why don't you start us off? It'll give me some time to think."

I handed his phone back to him and noticed he had put on a thick pair of glasses. Without debate, he grabbed it, typed something, and then Oh Baby by LCD Soundsystem began playing through the speakers. I watched as he reversed the car then lightly drummed his fingers on the steering wheel as he drove. This felt important, like the potential beginning of something. I could be wrong, but I didn't want to be. Not this time.

✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺

Hi! Ah! I wanted to post this sooner but life just won't quit! I tried to post a long chapter to make up for the fact that I currently have very little control over when I'm able to write and publish parts of the story. I am really excited for what I have planned next, so I'll hope you'll keep reading! :) & as always, a vote lets me know if you like it but if you've read this far I'm sure there's something about the story that you like so it's good enough for me <3

Also thinking about creating mood boards for each chapter and posting them as the banner bc gifs are hard and pictures don't always capture what I'm trying to go for. Thoughts?