Chapter 14: Prepping for Duty

A couple days later (Underground Bunker)

"The fifth one was in Poland, here, not far from the Baltic," Steve says placing a mark on the map.

"Five miles from the Baltic and the last one was outside of Strasburg thirty-five miles west of the Maginot line. He only got a quick look," I say as Steve gives me a 'really?' look.

"Nobody's perfect," Peggy says, and I snicker.

Howard walks in and turns to Steve. "Hey, aren't you supposed to be picking up a medal right about now?"

"He's off the publicity circuit."

"Lady? Aren't you—"

"Howie, if you really have to ask that question, clearly the answer is no. How's Ana?"

"She's doing great. She and Edwin are getting along nicely."

"Oh, good."

"Rogers, you just embarrassed a senior senator in front of a dozen reporters and ten members of Parliament," Phillips says as he hands Steve a medal. "You should get a medal just for that. These are all of Hydra's factories?"

"The ones we know about," Steve confirms.

"But Barnes and I told him Hydra shipped all the bombs to another facility. And that um—wasn't—on the map..." I butt in.

"Agent Carter, coordinate with MI6. I want every Allied eyeball looking for that main Hydra base," Phillips commands.

"What about us?" Peggy asks.

"We're going to light a fire under Johann Schmidt's ass." He turns to us. "What do you say, Rogers'? It's your guys' map. Think you can wipe Hydra off it?"

"We'll need a team," we reply at the same time.

"We've already started lining up the best men—"

"If you don't mind, sir—" Steve starts.

"So have we," I finish.

We go to the pub where all the guys are waiting. I walk over to the bar where Bucky is.

"Sarge?"

"Doll, what are you—woah," he stops as he finally looks at me. I am wearing a low-cut purple dress that perfectly hugs my curves and flows out just past my knees, paired with some silver pumps.

"You look— Have I told you how much I love you? And how lucky I am that I got you to marry me?"

"Not recently, no."

"I'll have to sometime then. So—"

"Soon. I promise. She's being taken care of."

"Oh yeah?"

"Yeah, Howard has been watching her for us. Did I mention she's like—in her late thirties now?"

"Um, nope. No, you did not."

"Well, yeah. She is, and she is being courted by Howard's butler."

"Is she now?"

"Yeah, they're so good together."

"Hey, you two."

"I told you. They're all crazy."

"How about you? You ready to follow Captain America into the jaws of death?"

"Hell no." I raise my eyebrow at him before hearing his thoughts, and I chuckle. "That skinny little guy from Brooklyn who was too dumb to run away from a fight, and his sexy kickass sister who was always there to protect him—I'm following them. But you're keeping the outfit, right?"

"I don't know. It's kind of grown on me."

The guys suddenly stop singing and the three of us peek out to see why. There stands Peggy in a red dress. She walks over to us, and the guys start singing again.

"Captain."

"Agent Carter."

"Ma'am," Bucky says.

"Ady," she nods to me and turns back to Steve. "Howard has got some equipment for the two of you to try. Tomorrow morning?"

"That sounds fine."

"I see your top squad is prepping for duty."

"You don't like music?" Bucky asks.

"I do actually. I may even, when this is all over, go dancing."

"Then what are we waiting for?" he tries, and I elbow him.

"The right partner. 0800, Ady. Captain." She says as she walks off.

"Yes, ma'am. I'll be there."

"This is horrible. It's like I'm turning into you," Bucky says. "I'm invisible."

I turn to Bucky and pull him in for a passionate kiss. Steve blushes and walks back to the guys. Bucky pulls away with his brows furrowed. I roll my eyes at him and bring him in for another kiss. I push him back slightly and smirk at him. I kiss him intermittently as I threaten him.

"Don't you dare say that you are invisible. And if you ever make remarks like that to another woman ever again. Well, let's just say I won't go easy on you." I say with a wink.

Bucky just stares at me in shock. I pull him out of the pub by his collar.

"Doll, you're choking me," he gasps out.

I slam him against the wall in the back alley. I wrap my hand around his neck careful not to choke him too tightly.

"What kind of game did you think you were playing in there?"

"I-I was—teasing—Steve," he says before gagging slightly.

"You good there?"

"Yes."

"Yes, what?"

"Doll?"

"Come on, Buck. We need to find our room."