Chapter 14

CHAPTER 14: You feel so nervous about Adam you can barely focus on doing anything for the rest of the day. You sit on your couch after he left for almost thirty minutes, just staring at the pillow he leaned his back on, while the sound of his voice, the look in his eyes, the way he moved as he left echoes through you, all bringing up the same feeling in you: fear. There was something to it, a desperation, frustration, and what those feelings can't make a heartbroken man do... No. No. He's going to be fine. He's going to be just fine. He just went home. He's just watching tv, trying to calm down. Your mind is racing so fast you can't even keep up, and you feel a bitter amusement thinking that maybe now it's your turn to go out for a drink. Just to relax a bit. You sigh and lean forward to grab the tv remote, and then you turn on the tv and start watching the first thing that pops up. You don't know what it is, but it doesn't really matter either, cause you're not really paying attention to it. Instead you sit silently and get lost in your own thoughts, letting them take you to places darker than you ever intended. They're messing with you. You almost jump out of your seat as your phone starts ringing with an abrubt loudness right next to you, and startled you pick it up, while wondering how long you've been sitting still doing nothing.
"Yeah?"
"HEY, WOULD YOU MIND TELLING ME WHY ADAM FREAKIN' LEVINE LEFT YOUR FREAKIN' APARTMENT THREE HOURS AGO?! I MEAN, ARE THEY RIGHT? WHAT'S GOING ON BETWEEN YOU?! ARE YOU SLEEPING TOGETHER?! WHY HAVEN'T YOU TOLD ME?!"
It's Olivia's very energetic almost deafening voice shouting in your ear, and you wince as you answer her in a deliberate low voice.
"Wow, would you just take it easy for a minute?" you ask, slightly annoyed at her assumptions and faith in a gossip magazine. "What are you thinking? Do you really think I'm SLEEPING with Adam Levine?"
"Well, are you?"
"No," you growl. "Of course I'm not."
"But then WHY WAS HE AT YOUR APARTMENT?! WHAT AREN'T YOU TELLING ME?!" Olivia blurts out insistingly, and you take a deep breath, and try to focus.
One, two, three, four, five...
"Where from have you heard that he just left my apartment?" you ask slowly, feeling slightly scared if the news got out so fast.
"IT WAS IN THIS MAGAZINE I SHOWED YOU! HE LEFT YOUR BUILDING AND STARTED FREAKING OUT AT THE PAPARAZZI!"
What? Oh, no, no, no, no, no, no...
"Could you send me that article?" you ask as casually as you can manage, while trying not to sound like your heart is beating twice as fast as it did five seconds ago, and Olivia seems to hesitate.
"Sure... But why do you care so much for that article all of a sudden? You never really cared much about Adam Levine," she says, and again you count slowly in your head.
"Could you just please send it?" you ask, running out of patience.
"Yeah, yeah! BUT THEN YOU GOTTA TELL ME HOW YOU GOT HOOKED UP WITH HIM!"
Deep breaths, deep breaths...
"Look, what do you say we meet up tonight and talk instead?" you offer, trying to compromise, and trying not to sound like you'd rather sit under a blanket all night and be alone. "I don't really want to discuss this over the phone."
"Ah, so you ARE sleeping with him?!"
"No!"
Oh, God.
"Well... Okay, so where should we meet?"
You hate that smug tone in Olivia's voice, as if she doesn't believe you at all and thinks she has it all figured out.
"Uh, I don't know. You pick somewhere. Text me the place, I'll be there," you say, too annoyed and lazy and nervous to think of a place right now. Olivia seems to sense your anxiety.
"Are you alright?" she asks, a lot lower and with a slight concern in her voice. "You seem... upset."
"Yeah, yeah, I'm fine," you promise. You really can't handle having this conversation. "We'll talk later. Just text me, okay? I'll see you."
"Okay..." Olivia far from sounds as if she's convinced, but nonetheless she says goodbye and hangs up without making it all harder than it already is. As soon as she's no longer on the line, you throw your phone down and wait for a message to pop up, while thinking about Adam. What did he do? Oh, please, don't say he beat the crap out of someone. You don't really imagine him being that type of guy, but still...
Bling.
There it is.
You open the message from Olivia and start reading immediately.
'Adam Levine agitated after a sleepless night?'
Oh, no.
'This morning we spotted Adam Levine leaving the apartment of the same beautiful woman he was seen with last night - looking quite sexy, if you know what we mean. He certainly didn't look like he'd been inactive during the night, so, ladies - it seems his love already belongs to another woman after his breakup with Allison Fisher - the breakup was confirmed by Fisher herself to one of our interviewers shortly after Adam was spotted outside the lucky woman's apartment. Hmm... Do you think they might have been having an affair leading to the breakup? We asked Fisher why her and Levine split, and she says it's "simply because things didn't work out". Is it true, or is she covering for her hot ex? Either way, Levine acted quite uncooporatively when we tried to get a comment from him this morning, while he was waiting for a cab to leave his lover, and aside from cursing a lot of four-letter words, he even tried hitting one of our interviewers - ouch! We're still trying to get a comment from the sexy on/off the market man, so check us out again tomorrow to see whether we've managed to get a few words out of the potential boxer! Comment what you think is going on with Mr. Levine and all his lovers - was it cheating, a one night stand? Let us know!'
You stop reading and feel like throwing your phone into the wall - but then you wouldn't be able to call Adam. With trembling hands, you find his number and dial it, then close your eyes.
Please let him be okay.