Zero | Ch. 1: Rough Morning

"Horikita."

Horikita!

«Suzune...»

Horikita-san!

"..."

1

Bzzzt...Bzzzt

Click

"Mmmm..."

My alarm just rang, but I felt powerless against the embraces of my pillows. The rustling of my blanket and bedsheet put my mind at ease. If I don't get up now, I might be in trouble.

I slowly rose from my bed and sat at the edge in silence, my vision still blurry. I gently rubbed my eyes and stretched out my arms high up. I noticed the sunlight peeking through my curtains. It woke me up a bit so I decided to get ready.

Today was the 7th of April, Monday, the first day of my last year in middle school. Depending on the person, today could be exciting, plain, dull, or even anxiety-inducing. I'd love to say that one of them is what I'm feeling right now, but I'd be lying.

Although maybe I'm more close to the plain side? In any case, today was just like any typical day. Still following the same usual routine and all. Just that I actually have to attend school this time.

I sighed as I prepared my clothes before going into the shower.

Knock-Knock

"Suzune-san, are you awake already?" someone said on the other side of the door.

"Yes, Suzuki-san. Good morning."

"Shall I prepare breakfast? "

"Yes, please. Thank you."

After receiving my confirmation, Suzuki-san left for the kitchen while I got into the bathroom. After about twenty minutes, I got out, my hair still wet.

After drying my hair, I got into my uniform which consisted of a plain white button blouse with a blue collar and a red ribbon, as well as a short blue pleated skirt. Typical of a sailor uniform.

I left my room shortly and headed towards the dining area. I saw Suzuki-san in her school uniform laying down two plates of omelette on the table.

She noticed me coming and greeted me with a warm smile.

"Ah. Good morning! Please enjoy!"

"Thank you."

Suzuki Anri is the maid and housekeeper of the Horikita household. Although I was capable of taking care of myself, my parents hired her after they started business abroad. She's three years older than me and fixes the household chores day and night while also attending school.

We sat down together and ate breakfast.

Honestly, her cooking never disappoints me. After experiencing her homemade food every day, I'm actually glad she was hired as a maid. Although I can also fix my own meals, Suzuki-san's is on housewife-level.

"This is your last year in middle school, right? How do you feel about it?"

"Nothing special or of the sort."

"...I see," she paused," You're going to follow your brother to that very strict high school, right?"

"Yes, I'll continue studying diligently this year to make sure I don't have any problems."