Fly As The Dov Do

I walk to the Throat of The World, Balgruuf, the Companions' inner circle, Ulfric Stormcloak, General Tulius, Queen Elisif, Isran, and Delphine and Esbern follow. The snow is low on our list of concerns, the cloudy gray sky matching the mood. Paarthurnax greets us somberly, craning his neck to guide us to the peak.

He crawls over, digging the hole through the ice and snow with his large claws. The Companions gently set the coffin by the hole, and I open it slowly. Below me lies his body, clad in his dragonbone armor. I remove his helmet and place it next to his head,closing my eyes as I pick up his hand, giving it one last squeeze.

I pull the Elder Scroll from my back and place it next to him. Arngeir approaches me to give me the remaining two and I rest them near his body, before sliding his helmet over his head. As I do, I get one last look at his face. His blonde hair, the shadow on his lower face. His eyes were closed, but I would never forget those ice blue eyes.

I close the coffin and cast my spell, making sure it would stay sealed and he would rest in peace. The Companions lift the coffin again, lowering it into the grave, already filling with snow. Balgruuf steps forward as Paarthurnax covers the grave in snow and dirt .

"Ragnar. The Hero of Nirn. Our savior. The one who defeated the World-Eater, the firstborn of Akatosh. Archmage of the College of Winterhold, Harbinger of the Companions, Thane of every hold, the one who defeated Harkon, and destroyer of the Dark Brotherhood. The most honorable man I've met to ever walk Nirn. Many will miss him, if not the whole of Tamriel. May he watch over us all from above, as Talos has. Here, upon the Throat of The World, is where the Dragonborn will rest for eternity. Above us all, looking down over our homeland. A savior in life and in death." Balgruuf's voice breaks at the last word.

"May he rest well." Arngeir mutters, seeming to have joined us not long ago.

"Kyne guides him." Wulfgar mutters, his voice shaking the ground.

Paarthurnax still hovers over the newly covered grave, his head hung in sorrow. He lowers his head closer to the ground, closing his eyes, "Dovahkiin. May you fly as the Dov has. Hei los zinaal, dii zeymah. Gerik hein viing ahst laat."

You are honorable, my brother. Spread your wings at last. The words resonate through me. Ragnar had taught me the basics of Dovahzul throughout our adventures. I step forward next.

"Thank you for all you've done for me, Ragnar. I'll never forget you. Thank you for showing me how to trust again." I whisper, tears brimming my eyes.

Vilkas carries the stone we made forward, and Paarthurnax helps dig a place for it. On it lists his greatest accomplishments, and a dragon head is carved on the top of the stone. After it's placed, I lean the Book of The Dragonborn against it.

We head down the mountain and part ways. As I reach the ground, rain replaces the snow. Aela hangs back.

"What will you do now?" She asks.

"I will carry him with me on my adventures. I'll make sure he didn't die in vain." I smile sadly.

"You're always welcome at the hall in Whiterun." She says, returning my smile.

"Thank you, Aela." I nod.

She begins to part ways with me, and I look back up at the peak, barely visible through the clouds. A roar sounds from above, and Odahviing lands near me. I regain my balance and look at him.

"I will pay Dovahkiin a visit. Would you like to return?" He says, struggling to speak in the mortal language for me.

"I'd like that." I smile. He lowers his head and I climb on, holding tight as we return to the peak.

We land next to Paarthurnax, and he greets me with a nod, "You have returned?"

"I have. I'd like to learn Dovahzul in full. I need to carry his memory." I give him a hopeful look.

"I will be honored to bestow that upon you. You are just as welcome as him, you were his most trusted ally." Paarthurnax tilts his large head.

"Thank you, Paarthurnax." I nod.

I later sit on an overlook off the peak. The snow has cleared, and I look over the orange sunset. I wonder to myself if that sunset is him, telling everyone he's looking over us. I never had faith in the Gods, but I'll have faith in Ragnar. I'm not human, Ragnar had never asked for me to be cured. My immortality finally has a purpose, and that purpose is to make sure no one forgets his name.

Arngeir never left the peak, and he approaches me, resting a hand on my shoulder, "You will make him proud, as you always have, Serana."

Here lies Ragnar Steel-Heart,

Savior of Skyrim

Harbinger of the Companions

Archmage of the College of Winterhold

Slayer of the World-Eater

An honorable man, who will live in our hearts for eternity.

Take flight, Dovahkiin.