An Unthinkable Fate

Start from the beginning

"It is fine weather we are having, is it not, Miss Sharma?" He asked, attempting to stay civil.

"You wish to speak to me about the weather?" Kate was surprised by his choice of topic when so much had been left unsaid.

"Is there another topic of conversation that'd be more appropriate?" He asked, raising a brow. Kate stood and exhaled sharply.

"There is nothing appropriate about what you're doing proceeding with this engagement." She demanded as she practically stormed over to where he stood.

"On the contrary, I believe it is the most proper outcome for all." He argued in return.

"Oh, and what of everything that passed between us at Aubrey hall?" Javier stared at her as she took one step closer and tried to keep his tone and face neutral to her proximity.

"Nothing passed between us." He asserted. "I am a gentleman."

"Is that so?" She questioned wanting to laugh at the thought of it. "Need I remind you, sir, if anyone other than your friend discovered us in the library that night, we too, would be obliged to wed."

"Nothing happened in that library. Would the two of us being obliged to marry be the outcome you desire?"

"Of course not." Kate answered immediately.

"Then let us both be...glad we have avoided such an unthinkable fate." Javier could feel a hollow ache in his chest as he looked back to Brookes mindlessly sipping from his cup then turned back to Kate. Kate stared back at him almost stunned by his tone and void tone. True she hadn't wanted to marry him but she couldn't get rid of the feeling that echoed deep in her chest and bones.

"I say, Miss Sharma, do you and your sister happen to share gloves?" Brooke asked, bringing the woman's attention back to the other side of the room.

"I–" Kate looked around her for a moment, seeming to snap out of her thoughts and looked to Brookes confused. "Yes, on occasion."

"I can take the measure of a hand at 20 paces." Brookes continued. He stood and placed his cup and saucer on the table and moved to Kate. "We may use your finger to size the ring."

"Oh, I beg your pardo–"

"That shan't be necessary." Javier and Kate argued at the same time.

"Nonsense!" Brookes dismissed with a laugh. He looked to Javier then Kate then to Javier again expectantly. Javier sighed silently and reached to grab the small ring box beside him and allowed Brookes to take the ring. Kate stayed silent and still as she watched the ring slide on her hand. Kate continued to stare at the piece of jewelry as Brookes stepped away completely, she couldn't help herself but imagine what it may have been like for Javier to place this on her and what her life would have been like had things turned out different.

"It is a beautiful piece." Kate complimented softly. Javier took in the sight of Kate and his mother's ring and tried to push down the swelling in his chest that began. Javier stepped up and gently took her hand in his as he watched how the ring shined against her skin.

"It is the ring my father gave to my mother before they were wed." Almost in a daze Javier ran his thumb over the ring. "It is the last piece of her that I have." The sound of footsteps moving into the room snapped them both out of the haze they stood in and Kate quickly turned to see Edwina and her mother entering the room.

"Lord Javalera?" Edwina asked, looking between her sister and her fiancé.

"They came to, uh, alter the ring." Kate said almost cheerfully and moved to the other side of the room and tried to take the ring off.

"Uh, Mr. Brookes insisted." Javier claimed clasping his arms behind his back to face Edwina. Kate continued to gently pull at the ring and sighed at having difficulty.

"Just a moment." Kate stated looking down to try to take it off. The room watched her struggle. "It appears to be stuck." She announced after a few seconds.

"Well, Edwina is here now." Mary stated turning to look at her youngest daughter. Javier smiled softly at Edwina.

"Kate, are you–"

"Yes, almost." Kate interrupted her sister, continuing to pull and twist. "Just another..." She grunted annoyed at the ring of metal now refusing to budge like fate had wanted to laugh at her misfortune. With a final pull the ring slid off and Kate laughed softly and held the ring out to her mother. "There. All yours."

"Ah. here you all are." Lady Danbury announced as she too entered the drawing room. "I have news. Lord and Lady Sheffield sent word. They are in London."

"Our grandparents?" Edwina asked, almost excited by the news.

"Indeed. It seems they read the engagement announcement and wish to make your acquaintance. And uh, that of your future husband, of course." Lady Danbury added looking to Javier.

"I should be delighted to meet them." Javier said, looking back to Edwina softly.

"They are already in town?" Kate asked to move closer to Lady Danbury.

"They arrived last night" Lady Danbury said hesitating for only a moment. Kate held the woman's gaze as her mind ran miles a minute.

"Is something wrong?" Javier asked, noticing how tense Kate had become.

"Not at all." Lady Danbury soothed. "I shall invite them to the engagement dinner tomorrow. I'm sure it will be a most joyous reunion after all these years. Yes, Lady Mary?"

"Indeed." Mary agreed and made sure to keep her tone light and happy.

"I shall look forward to it." Javier said as he pushed the thought of his father and the amount of time he had to spend with the man that evening. "Are you ready to promenade?"

"I am, my lord." Edwina smiled as Javier came to offer his arm to her.

"I suddenly feel a headache coming on." Mary announced. "Lady Danbury, would you be so kind as to chaperone my daughter?"

"Of course. Miss Sharma and I would be glad of the fresh air." Kate smiled politely.

"Oh, I should really stay with Mama." Kate refused quickly.

"You will escort me." Lady Danbury demanded softly and left no room for arguing which caused Kate to sigh.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hello my beautiful readers! I am back and I am so sorry about the huge delay in returning. I know this chapter is super short but I will be back for the next one I promise you. Thank you everyone who has found and loved this story. Thank you all for staying with Alina and her time with her new family and I will do my best to give you the wonderful story you all deserve. <3