Day 80-93 (Part 2)

Hi, guys! This update took FOrEVEr to write, because I wanted to get it exactly right. I think I rewrote the first half of it alone like three or four times O.O But hopefully it turned out well! Thank you all so much for being patient with me! :)

Day 80 (Part 2):

He will do it. You know he will do it. Afua told you he's a manipulator. He'll plant his lips on yours and it'll seal something between the two of you, slip open the bridge to any emotion he wants like parting a curtain.

It would be so easy. All he has to do is brush his lips over yours.

But the monster looks down quietly, face twisted in an expression you can't read.

"Do it," you say, glancing at the camera, your jaw shaking. "Just do it."

"Is that a command, Warden?" he asks, eyes moving up to yours.

A frown creases your face. "Does it have to be?"

The monster doesn't answer.

"Don't you want to do it? To... kiss me?" you manage, swells of dark blue flooding through your system like water filling a glass.

He should want to. Why doesn't he?

His jaw works. "You'd regret it."

"Since when do you care?" you cry, eyes darting between that light on the camera and the monster. "You want this. It'll... it'll help you manipulate me, won't it?"

The shaking spreads to your entire body, like fever chills, and you grab onto his forearms. He looks up at you, eyes meeting for a second that seems to pulse electricity through you from those beautiful green eyes.

Time stands still.

You know in that second that the monster would do it if you asked him to. But he shakes when he looks at you, eyes flickering down to your lips and back up again to trace your eyes, and you realize that you can't do it.

The decision hits you like plunging into an ice-cold, rushing river. He doesn't want to do it. You won't make him.

USOAT doesn't have a microphone on the camera, but they must know something. And now you look stupid, incompetent. A tide of black despair surges through you, and as he nods, leaning in, you reach forward to stop him, fingers knotting in his white T-shirt as you shake, staring up at that camera.

The skin under his shirt is warm. His fingers brush against your bandaged side, stabilizing you as you shudder.

You feel him breathing, but your breath comes fast as you stare up at the blinking light on the camera, holding onto your monster like he can stop you from drowning.

Your eyes flicker down to the way his fingers graze your side, the kind of strong fingers that made you think of deep, breathy kisses the first time you'd met him.

He deserves to kiss someone beautiful, someone who is going to be good to him, to appreciate those fingers, to never let him down. Not someone who would think about kissing him for a camera. Not someone like you.

You pull back at arm's length and he looks at you nervously, tongue moistening his lower lip. "Warden?"

For a moment all you can think of is the way that tongue would feel on your lips and those fingers still on your sides.

You hear your breath in the air, faint. His breath fans warm over your face. Your fingers still clutch at the fabric of his shirt. You are inches apart. You could lean in, as if drawn by a magnetic force-

No.

That isn't for you.

You can't bruise his lips with your dirty ones. You don't have anything to offer that soft mouth but the stain of a failed USOAT agent. The kind of agent who would lock someone away from daylight and then force them to kiss you.