Chapter 3: You Never Change

Kagaya Ubuyashiki POV

Today is a peaceful and calm day. Almost so peaceful that it seems unnatural, abnormal, off. Something is not quite right but I simply can't decipher what this inconsistency could be.

"Amane," I ask calmly, "could you pour me some tea?"

"Certainly Kagaya-san," she says with little emotion spared in her words. Her purple eyes waver at the faint uncertainty laced between my words. Her pale white hair blows in the wind and she looks to the sky carrying a tray of tea.

"Perhaps bring two glasses instead," I say, unable to see anything, yet sensing a foreboding presence hurtling faster towards our peaceful home, "there's a good chance we will need it."

She lays down the tray without a word and I motion with my hand for her to stay away. She nods, understanding my message, and continues down the hallway. I sit, facing the large opening in the room allowing the faint breeze to grace my face. I imagine the moon is out and the pale star's silhouettes shine in the sky. I hear footsteps and I look up even though I cannot see a thing. I motion once again for Amane to come to my side, and she stands next to me.

I hear a cold voice from above me as someone walks soundlessly to the small stairs that lead to the opening in our home, "This reminds me of the last time we last met."

"Amane, what does he look like?" I ask serenely.

"I believe this is Kibutsuji Muzan, Kagaya-san," she pauses, "he has plum red eyes and short black hair and he appears to be a man in his mid-twenties."

"Thank you Amane," I respond with a grateful smile, "So Kibutsuji-san, have you come to kill me at last?" I smile emotionlessly.

"You are indeed the same as ever, Ubuyashiki-san," he says, avoiding my question.

"Ah...I'm afraid we have never met, so I am curious about the implication that we have," I say with slight confusion, not quite understanding his intention.

"We have," Muzan begins, "You wanted me to kill you just like you do now. It was all a trap so that Tamayo could weaken me, allowing your slayers the upper hand. I am afraid I fell for this, and underestimated your slayers greatly." For some reason this murderer does not look angry when describing his death, and instead looks calm. But there is one thing he said that I don't quite understand.

"Kibutsuji-san... how do you know of the plan I told Gyomei that I intended to go into action 2 years from now? And how do you know that I work with Tamayo? How do you know any of this at all?" I ask worriedly.

"Because it all happened," He states, "because I should be dead and for a moment, I was." I now understand what Kibutsuji is trying to say, but I don't follow how any of this makes sense.

"How?" I ask but a single simple word.

"An Angel. An Angel told me I would have another chance. And I took it, I prayed I could change, and maybe even change this broken world and atone for my sins," I look for a break in his composure, something to tell me this is all a lie. Yet I find surprisingly that everything he says is genuine.

"So why come to me if you knew I had already planned out your death? Why come to me when you knew as well as I that Tamayo and the slayers were ready to kill you as soon as I gave the signal?" I ask, chipping away at this uncertainty.

"Because, I died as did you," Kibutsuji continues, "your slayers, children, and wife all died. Tamayo died. Every demon died. That...that war favored nobody. You can say in some respects that you won, but everyone was destroyed by guilt and loss. I have conscience of my wrongdoings and shortcomings and I wish for the best for the both of us. In order to avoid a catastrophic war, we will need to see eye to eye. So please, Ubuyashiki-san, as a form of family, can we work together to fix the gap between us and achieve the true peace that neither of us alone could hope to attain?"

"Amane, what is he doing?" I ask in a hushed tone.

"He is offering his hand to you, Kagaya-san," she replies gracefully.

"Ah thank you Kibutsuji-san, in that case, I hope we can work together," I say with a smile, shaking his hand. 

A/N: Hope you're enjoying the story so far! I'm planning to write a Muzan x OCAyakaAmamiya(Reader) fanfic soon!